What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SDS Aero Billet Valve Covers PV Lycomings

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
We're about to start the first production run of our new valve covers next week. These feature a Viton O-ring to seal oil rather than a flat gasket and weigh about 15 grams less than a typical chromed steel Millennium VC. No more squishy gaskets or loosening fasteners.

We'll be offering both anodized (shown below) and powder coated finishes with optional laser etched or CNC scribed/ machined logos/ graphics at extra cost.

Laser etched

CNC scribed

The gold one above was a prototype used for test purposes and does not have the smooth production finish as shown on the other examples.

Will be supplied with SS Allen cap screws, cad plated AN washers and locks. Price will be $110US each without a logo.

Anodized colors available are gold, red, black at this time.

Short video of the machining process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiqaIiyZyWo

The O-ring seal is a welcome addition. Nice to see another Lycoming component joining the 21st century. In the odd chance that someone needs a replacement O-ring, is this a common part or a custom piece for this application?

The O-ring seal is a welcome addition. Nice to see another Lycoming component joining the 21st century. In the odd chance that someone needs a replacement O-ring, is this a common part or a custom piece for this application?

Yup, COTS Viton O-ring #160.

And the $110 is effectively reduced by the $8.50 or so we all spend on a silicone gasket.

It's a good deal. :)

Looking at it but seems it will be more difficult to incorporate the O-ring. That would be a couple months down the road at least if we decide to do them.

Powder Coated

I got 2 samples back from powder coating today so people can see what that finish looks like:

First Production Run

Just got these back from the anodizer and laser etching this afternoon. These 4 were custom done for color and logo as per customer request.

The first production run is all sold out to VAF forum members.

The second, larger run begins production on Jan. 18th and almost half that run is already spoken for.

Been challenging and time consuming to get the program and tooling tweaked plus get special fixturing made to turn these out in quantity/ quality. Thanks to everyone for being patient.

Well, even without watching the video I was able to figure out the O ring.

It's nice to be able to smoke down the cover bolts without squishing the gasket out. A other solid product Ross!

2zntxy1.jpg

Just ran both these covers and the Titan stamped covers across the scales in the Mass Properties department and have the following data:

SDS covers with O ring = 5.76 oz
Titan covers with gasket = 6.72 oz
Titan covers bare = 6.24 oz.

Great job Ross, machining a stout billet cover, incorporating a seal, and it's lighter than the stamped cover alone.

So I guess if one wants to ignore the superior sealing and weight advantage, at least you can go guilt free about falling for the bling!

We should be able to get the next batch slightly lighter...

We're happy that people have embraced the design features and are getting in line to order now. Custom laser etching is costing out to about $8 per cover on a set of 6 and $10 per cover on a set of 4.

Some better shots.

I have an unusual (I think) attraction to exotic hardware, and considering where I work, I get to see a lot of neat stuff. Lots of titanium, exotic specialty fasteners etc. Sometimes this stuff comes up for sale as surplus to employees, and I buy it by the pound when I can. An example are these nuts. Self locking and similar to the MS21042 "Jet Nuts", these are cool in that they have an integrated, free spinning washer. So of course I had to buy a bunch of double ended (1/4-20 x 1/4-28) studs and use them to hold the covers on. These covers snug down with the satisfying feel of "real" aerospace hardware, vs the 1940's tractor technology Lycoming covers.

I think they're bichin'.

6ygzd5.jpg

2z9cww4.jpg

2nd Run Complete

Howard worked over the weekend to turn out 46 more SDS valve covers.

We're ready to take the covers to the anodizer later this week so anybody who's on the list to buy, please get your color choices and logo files in soon. It keeps the costs down to do greater numbers at the same time. I'll contact anyone else who's on my email list tomorrow.

A 3rd run is planned for the 3rd week in Feb.

BTW, these are now weighing in at around 150 grams each.

Last edited:
The last production batch has now sold out and more billet is on the way for the next run later this month.

For those on VAF who've just ordered in the last 10 days or so, your VCs will be down at the anodizers this coming Tuesday so if you haven't already given us your color choice and logo files for laser etching, please get those in soon.

Thanks to everyone who placed orders, we really appreciate the support and will be working on another new Lycoming product soon which I think you'll like.

OK, I want. I have hated the stupid 50's style valve cover gaskets on the average opposed aircraft engine since I started dealing with them a couple of decades ago, given the fact that I have (a) been designing o-rings seals for longer than that and (b) no modern automotive engine I've worked on in the last 30 years has anything that primitive.

So. How do I order a set for my little Lyclone?

OK Ross
When do the Angle Valve covers start production?:)

They are going into CAD next week but after measuring a bunch of heads for material around the bolts and casting variations, we were not confident we could make them seal reliably with an O-ring. There just isn't the same room as on the PV heads. So we will still use flat gaskets on these but we're looking at our own solution to this area. I can't talk about that part until we test prototypes though.

Ok gents. I picked up all the VCs from the first anodizing and etching batch this afternoon. I'll be sending them out tomorrow.

Run 3 Complete

Howard was busy this week and the next batch of SDS valve covers is in my hands now. Anyone who missed the last batch can get on board with this one.

They will be going to anodizing and etching late next week. It's more economical if we can anodize and etch all at the same time.

About 1/3rd of this batch are already spoken for so if you want some, contact us in the next few days.

Last edited:
I got mine yesterday - they look fantastic! Can't wait to get them installed.

Dog approved...

38846179690_ce3ecee142_c.jpg

Glad you like them Thomas.

I'll be heading down to the anodizer on Friday to do part of the next batch so anyone contemplating a set, get your order and logo files in over the next couple days please.

Good! We sent out 6 boxes on Feb. 26 and it looks like they all arrived on about the same day even though they were all to different states.

BTW the aluminum billet stock for the last 2 runs came from Seattle. The price and service was better than from Montreal and we like to support our mainly American customer base/ economy by buying from the US whenever we can. We really appreciate our American customer support and never buy billet from offshore- even if it's a lot cheaper.

We go through thousands of pounds of aluminum billet per year, about 3/4 of that from US sources.

To all those who placed their orders for valve covers a couple weeks back, I should be finally picking up this batch later today and start shipping them out Saturday. Sorry for the long wait. The anodizer was slammed with work last week.

I'll be taking in another batch at the same time and we're starting another run next week.

Picked up the present batch today and will start sending them out tomorrow hopefully. Here's a photo of some of the graphics.

I picked up the last of the batch from anodizer yesterday and they will be shipped out soon. We have another run scheduled for next week for those who would like to order. I'd like to thank everyone who has ordered and made this project a success.

Awesome Valve Covers!

Ross,
Beautiful piece. Any chance of having them polished and clear powder coated or just polished? Do you think that chroming the aluminum would stand up to engine heat? I might have them chromed vs polished but it doesn't always do well on aluminum.
Thanks,
Brad

I don't have anyone locally who could chrome aluminum and not sure how they would turn out and hold up in service.

Have not had anything ever clear powder coated but could check and see what my vendor can offer there and see how they think the finish would stand up over time and the typical heat cycles. The polishing and small run powder coating would be rather expensive. We could sell them in bare finish though for you to experiment with these processes

We have another run of billet valve covers to be ready tomorrow and these will go to the anodizer later this week. Anyone who wants to get in on this run can PM me.

Great

I have about 10 hours on a set of Ross?s covers. I love them, very sharp looking and well built. Not a drop of oil.

I have about 10 hours on a set of Ross’s covers. I love them, very sharp looking and well built. Not a drop of oil.

Thanks for the feedback Mike. Glad they are working well for you.

Thanks to all the VAF members who have purchased our PV VCs. This helps us to have the funds for developing other new mechanical and electronic products coming down the pipeline. 2 more mechanical products are in testing now and a 3rd is under design at this time.

Last edited:
Back