VAF Forums

VAF Forums (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php)
-   California (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Flying Into San Diego, CA (KMYF) (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=70283)

Plummit 10-15-2017 03:56 PM

Going to MYF Next Sunday

We'll be flying down to MYF on the 22nd. Is there still transient parking available? We will be staying for a few hours to visit with family.

-Marc

don.olandese 10-16-2017 03:34 PM

I am surprised...

...that nobody suggested using Oceanside Airport instead of the big places. (Maybe it's closed now? I haven't even looked lately.) We did that from SF Bay Area several years ago, pretty much direct except for the very last part around was it John Wayne and the marine base, and it worked out perfectly. The facility itself was small but friendly and helpful. The only drawback was having to use about 22 different frequencies with Approach as we cruised through controller sectors at RV speeds in the descent. I remember having a bit of delay being worked by departure control leaving there to the southeast a couple of days later, but that was apparently the morning rush hour. Or maybe it's always rush hour in LA...

Bluelabel 10-16-2017 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plummit (Post 1211275)
We'll be flying down to MYF on the 22nd. Is there still transient parking available? We will be staying for a few hours to visit with family.

-Marc

Yep... there's both transient in front of Casa Machado as well as over at Gibbs. Both are cheap. Gibbs get's you some cervices if you need them.

Plummit 10-16-2017 05:47 PM

Thanks John. I Look forward to flying in there this coming weekend.

-Marc

MikeyDale 10-16-2017 07:37 PM

Gibbs is great! We got a rental car from them for a very reasonable price! We flew in from the West and Flight Following took care of us all the way in until just before contacting MYF approach! Just be ready for lots of traffic at MYF.

Bluelabel 10-16-2017 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plummit (Post 1211555)
Thanks John. I Look forward to flying in there this coming weekend.

-Marc

Ill be up at the High Sierra Fly in, otherwise Id pop over to say hey...

DougCronkhite 10-20-2017 02:20 AM

One additional note.. 28R is much wider than 28L.. 28L is often used for full-stop arrivals, and 28R is generally for closed traffice, but you can get 28R for full-stop if you ask.

Plummit 11-03-2017 08:09 AM

Signature FBO

We had an uneventful flight to MYF for breakfast with the Grandson and his fiance. They are getting married this Saturday on a Hornblower boat. As the dock is only a short ride from KSAN I was going to fly into there and use the Signature FBO. I called to make arrangements with Signature and was told that the "Breeders Cup" was happening this weekend so they would be charging a $250 "event fee".

Looks like we will be going to Gibbs at MYF and taking an uber to the wedding.

-Marc

ethand 11-03-2017 11:49 AM

Sent you a PM

E

Plummit 11-03-2017 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethand (Post 1216125)
Sent you a PM

E

Answered your PM! ;-)

~Marc