What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N705BC Airborne Today!

drone_pilot

Well Known Member
After two months worth of weather delays, etc. my RV-7A N705BC took flight today. I received transition training from Dave Austin out of Denton, Texas who did a phenomenal job showing me the ropes. I highly recommend Dave as he is a calm voice in the face of information overload and unusual attitudes. Seriously, he has been one of the most patient and effective instructors that I have had.

The plane flew beautifully, no squawks other than it will probably need a small trim tab on the rudder due to the fact that "yours truly" nailed the vertical stab straight down the fuselage centerline rather than offsetting the leading edge 1/4" left of center. I read the instructions after the fact. Really not too big of deal but with 200hp on takeoff, a lot of right rudder is needed.

I started the project in 2004 with a really slow build. Building was so much fun and flying is just icing on the cake! I learned a lot and plan on building a 777 for my next project now that I know so much! 😜

Much thanks to God who gave me much grace to do this (my nose art will say "by the grace of God"). Much thanks to my family and friends in which everyone pitched in with a helping hand at one time or another. Much love to my wife who loved me enough to let me spend many days and nights at the hangar. Many handshakes for those on VAF that provided tips, advice, and answers to my endless list of questions. I'm not sure that I would be finished yet if VAF members had not have been there to give such great advice to get me thru the head scratching moments. Lastly thanks to the many vendors on this site that provided great products, great support, and great customer service. The home building world is truly full of great people!

A hardy congratulations!! Now on to the next phase of the RV life. Keep us posted.

Congratulations!!

Ben-----way to go.

Now about the mandatory "Grin" photo...........

Congratulation! Gives the rest of us motivation to push on! Enjoy the freedom

Right on! any pics or vid?
No pics or vid. I just wanted quiet and no pressure of thinking about anything else but protecting my investment and my rear end. :) Likewise didn't want all you guys seeing me cry!

I just took it up again about an hour ago and I must say that I didn't have full realization of what a nice airplane RVs are! It flys beautifully and does exactly what you want it to! Still grinning! I was told by the transition trainer not to fly anything but the RV until the adrenaline rush wears off. I'm a long way from that!

Congratulations

I know what your feeling my RV7 took to the air for the first time 2 weeks ago and I am also working with David on transition training and can't say enough good things about him. Enjoy the new bird!!

The BEST...

After two months worth of weather delays, etc. my RV-7A N705BC took flight today. I received transition training from Dave Austin out of Denton, Texas who did a phenomenal job showing me the ropes. I highly recommend Dave as he is a calm voice in the face of information overload and unusual attitudes. Seriously, he has been one of the most patient and effective instructors that I have had.

The plane flew beautifully, no squawks other than it will probably need a small trim tab on the rudder due to the fact that "yours truly" nailed the vertical stab straight down the fuselage centerline rather than offsetting the leading edge 1/4" left of center. I read the instructions after the fact. Really not too big of deal but with 200hp on takeoff, a lot of right rudder is needed.

I started the project in 2004 with a really slow build. Building was so much fun and flying is just icing on the cake! I learned a lot and plan on building a 777 for my next project now that I know so much! 😜

Much thanks to God who gave me much grace to do this (my nose art will say "by the grace of God"). Much thanks to my family and friends in which everyone pitched in with a helping hand at one time or another. Much love to my wife who loved me enough to let me spend many days and nights at the hangar. Many handshakes for those on VAF that provided tips, advice, and answers to my endless list of questions. I'm not sure that I would be finished yet if VAF members had not have been there to give such great advice to get me thru the head scratching moments. Lastly thanks to the many vendors on this site that provided great products, great support, and great customer service. The home building world is truly full of great people!

Way to go.

Dave did trained me, and he was hands down the best instructor I had in 30+ years of flying. He really took my skills up a level or 2.

Many happy landings,
Daddyman
N262 DF
Dues + paid 2017

Back