VAF Forums

VAF Forums (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php)
-   RV-7/7A (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Parking Brake Valve Location (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=148773)

rapid_ascent 04-19-2017 08:44 AM

Parking Brake Valve Location

I know there is debate about the value of having a parking brake. That discussion is for another thread.

I'm starting to think about the best location for the valve. Some mount it on the firewall in the position of the flex to hardline. I like the idea of moving it up higher on the firewall as others have done to reduce the possibility of hitting the line with your feet, but then the tubing routing isn't as clean due to the diagonal firewall brace.

A third option would be to transition from flex to hardline in the standard location and then locate the valve somewhere between the firewall and the fuel selector valve. I like this idea since it seems the cleanest solution but the control cable would have to be routed further and that may be a complication.

I'm interested ideas and feedback from those who have gone down this path before. I'm sure there are other issues I may not have considered.

Thanks

219PB 04-19-2017 11:06 AM

I just mounted mine in the standard position on the firewall. I have found that the further I deviate from the plans the time required goes up exponentially. I am enjoying the build but I am itching to go and fly.

jmjula 04-19-2017 12:34 PM

I put the parking valve just underneath the upper horizontal longeron and ran hard lines down to the angle bracket Van's has you use to connect to the lines in the floor. I ran flex lines from the value to the peddles. This was a great location for the control cable too as I was able to use the panel rib above to support the cable. I did make sure to locate the hole for the prop cable before running the hard lines... I likely have pictures at home if you need it.

N941WR 04-19-2017 01:44 PM

Here is where mine is installed.

(Click to enlarge)

VNS 04-19-2017 03:00 PM

Alternative location for those with long arms

TS Flightlines 04-19-2017 03:06 PM

Most that we have helped to plumb are located about where Bill has his.

Tom

Bevan 04-19-2017 03:29 PM

I just removed mine cause I couldn't get it to stop dripping and had little confidence that the new one would be much better.

Bevan

Deweyclawson 04-19-2017 03:37 PM

Brake handle location

One of the first things I did when I got my new, 24 year old RV6 home was add a parking brake. The brake handle went in the upper left corner of the instrument panel. I used the cable with the round knob with the push button in the middle. Just pull it out and it stays out. Just push the button in and the handle goes in. I can reach it to release when standing in front of the wing and conveniently just push the button in when putting the plane away.

zilik 04-19-2017 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VNS (Post 1166916)
Alternative location for those with long arms

Now why did I not think of that location? The only drawback I see is making sure that it has not been bumped in flight and is ON while landing.

N941WR 04-19-2017 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zilik (Post 1166946)
Now why did I not think of that location? The only drawback I see is making sure that it has not been bumped in flight and is ON while landing.

That doesn't work for a taildragger because the brake lines go through the firewall, not aft to the spar.

The other issue with putting it in this location on an "A" is it could interfere with the fuel pump, if you have an injected engine.