What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 12 instruction

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I can't seem to find the answer in the archives. If say 5 people are joint owners of an ELSA RV 12, wouldn't they each be eligible to receive flight instruction in that plane? If they formed a flying club, would other new members of the club be able to get legal instruction as well?

I can't seem to find the answer in the archives. If say 5 people are joint owners of an ELSA RV 12, wouldn't they each be eligible to receive flight instruction in that plane? If they formed a flying club, would other new members of the club be able to get legal instruction as well?

I'm not up to date on the ELSA rules. But for EAB aircraft the airplane cannot be used for compensation or hire. That is generally interpreted as meaning you cannot hold it out to the public. So yes, a co-owner may receive instruction for hire in "his" airplane (even if he only owns 20%). Same for a flying club, if the members themselves own the club as a not-for-profit organization, and the club owns the airplane (it cannot be a lease back). Note that as you get beyond 4 or so co-owners or club, there may be a very large increase in insurance cost.

Don I would tend to agree with what Bob said. Perhaps Mel can chime in here but on the surface of things (FAA wise) I don't think there would be any issues with anyone receiving flight instruction in a ELSA RV-12.

The issue is compensation. If the owner(s) don't charge for the use of the aircraft there should not be an issue. I believe paying a CFI is not considered compensation for the aircraft.

However, you may find the bigger issue will likely be insurance .... as an example, my insurance company WOULD NOT cover my RV-12 unless I had 5 hours training in a RV-12 from an instructor that had at least 20 hours in a RV-12.

Last edited:
Like John-G sys, As long as you don't charge for the use of the aircraft, you're good to go.

Back