What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview 14 from Dynon or wait for Van's?

jveatch

We're ready to install Skyview 14.0 in our RV-12 but want to verify that by installing the download from Dynon we don't lose various settings. It is advisable to wait until it is available from Vans, or does it really make any difference?

Normally I wait for Van's, but today I ordered one....I figured it will take some time to get here anyway and hopefully by the time it does, Van's will have any caveats out there.

I think one of you is referring to the Version 14.0 software, and the other possibly the GPS-2020.

I've done it both ways and it's easy either way. I used Van's when new capability, like the canopy switch was introduced, but used Dynon directly otherwise. Either way, I be sure to export my user settings before the update to be able to import them after the update if necessary.

It is a good idea to manually export your settings before doing a major upgrade. Dynon upgrades now also do this automatically. This particular upgrade ALSO upgrades the transponder to show a higher SIL with our CURRENT GPS module (not the new "2020" one) which keeps us getting full ADSB services until 2020. However, the transponder part of the upgrade is a separate step AFTER installing the overall V14 upgrade. So be sure to read about that.

You must have the avionics master on, and the autopilot servo power on, to do a full system upgrade.

I always do it with the files from Dynon, not waiting for Vans, because I have customized my EMS pages and settings. These do not get overwritten by a Dynon upgrade.

Checklist template

Skyview V.14 includes ability to display user-defined checklists, and a template is provided, which can be easily edited (in a text editor on a computer), and loaded into the SV.

Ten bonus points to Van's or an astute individual who generates a good set of checklists for the RV-12 in the Skyview file format.

I think one of you is referring to the Version 14.0 software, and the other possibly the GPS-2020.

Probably right....I was referring to both - waiting for Van's to do the update kit and their version of the 14 software update....but it looks like my 2020 will be here on tuesday and I had been thinking about just taking the 250 out and subbing in the 2020....but now I'm think about leaving the 250 where it is in the engine compartment and then mounting the 2020 off the rear window brace somehow so is level and then routing the wires (yikes) down the roll bar the way like you do for the canopy switch and run a dual GPS per the instructions.....

You can mount the two side by side under the cowl on that GPS antenna shelf. That shelf used to hold (with the D180 avionics) a side-by-side Garmin 396/496 antenna and an XM puck next to it. The Skyview GPS puck (actually both an antenna and receiver combined) doesn't need to be precisely level; it is not an ADAHRS.

Testing

You can mount the two side by side under the cowl on that GPS antenna shelf. That shelf used to hold (with the D180 avionics) a side-by-side Garmin 396/496 antenna and an XM puck next to it. The Skyview GPS puck (actually both an antenna and receiver combined) doesn't need to be precisely level; it is not an ADAHRS.

I assume Van's will be testing if the 2020 antenna, placed under the cowl, will perform to the specs needed for ADS-B 2020 compliance. Haven't read about this recently, but I recall when Dynon announced the product at Oshkosh, they said it could not be painted .... Not sure if placed under a painted cowl means the same thing. Maybe it doesn't matter, but I assume the tech team at Van's will test it and maybe offer it as an upgrade kit to the rest of us current Skyview folks. Scott, is that likely?

PS. The really great thing about the v.14 software upgrade it that legacy Skyview aircraft will have fully functional ADSB-in functionality for several years and don't have to rush and install the new antenna before the end of 2019. Well before that the ideal upgrade pathway should be worked out.

Dynon specifically tested the stock RV-12 GPS antenna location in development of the SV-GPS-2020. That location gives great performance, even under the cowl.

I don't think we ever said you can't paint it. What we generically said was that just because a location worked for the GPS-250 doesn't mean it would work for the GPS-2020, especially if it was under something or had a less than perfect view of the sky. We did actually worry about the RV-12 location but our tests demonstrated otherwise.

Dynon loves the RV-12. No way we'd leave you guys hangin' or make you do a lot of work for a retrofit! ;)

Dynon . . . a great American company.
With superior customer support.
Keep up the good work and keep prices competitive.

version 14 checklists

Has anyone already built the checklists for the new version 14 and willing to share?

Has anyone already built the checklists for the new version 14 and willing to share?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w705oiihitc8suh/SV_Checklist_Template-Rev_A.txt?dl=0

I've been editing the template file that Dynon offers on their website using the RV-12 POH with some of my own preferences/changes. Still learning how best to abbreviate checklist items and fine tune the screen layout. This is DRAFT - worth the time to go through it line by line and confirm it makes sense. I loaded an earlier version this morning and made some changes since, but as expected Dynon's design is fairly easy to understand. Really like the flexibility to refine any checklist to what you want. (note: I'm keeping my laminated checklist on hand, especially for emergency items. This screen version might prove more convenient, but time will tell. Haven't flown with the electronic list yet.)

So, this file might save you time in customizing for your own use but please poke me if you find sig. errors.

Last edited:
Dynon specifically tested the stock RV-12 GPS antenna location in development of the SV-GPS-2020. That location gives great performance, even under the cowl.

I don't think we ever said you can't paint it. What we generically said was that just because a location worked for the GPS-250 doesn't mean it would work for the GPS-2020, especially if it was under something or had a less than perfect view of the sky. We did actually worry about the RV-12 location but our tests demonstrated otherwise.

Dynon loves the RV-12. No way we'd leave you guys hangin' or make you do a lot of work for a retrofit! ;)

Looks like the existing 250 can be turned sideways and the new 2020 can be mounted beside it....then it appears only one wire would need to be added to the sky view and the rest could be spliced in the the existing wires.

You get them

I've been editing the template file that Dynon offers on their website using the RV-12 POH with some of my own preferences/changes. Still learning how best to abbreviate checklist items and fine tune the screen layout. This is DRAFT - worth the time to go through it line by line and confirm it makes sense. I loaded an earlier version this morning and made some changes since, but as expected Dynon's design is fairly easy to understand. Really like the flexibility to refine any checklist to what you want. (note: I'm keeping my laminated checklist on hand, especially for emergency items. This screen version might prove more convenient, but time will tell. Haven't flown with the electronic list yet.)

So, this file might save you time in customizing for your own use but please poke me if you find sig. errors.

You get my aformentioned 10 bonus points--Thanks Brent.

Can someone tell me the advantage of keeping the old GPS-250, when installing the new 2020? Maybe it has something to do with D180 installations, and not us Skyview guys, but I sure would hate to remove the 250, and then wish that I had kept it.

Thanks.....Tom

Hello Dynon. Is it still true that the Dynon GPS puck holds all the GPS components and antenna not like the Garmin puck is only a antenna. Does it still hold true that Dynon doesn't recommend a under the cowl location because of the heat of the engine and the hot tempertures of the southern United States that might damage the electronics in the puck.

Ron
RV9A

FYI

On the Dynon Forum quite a few folks have been experiencing some issues with SV. 14.0 . I usually wait till Vans vets a new version and then posts the new version along with appropriate settings files in case there are any issues.

Yesterday Dynon posted:-

"We've actually pulled down 14.0 until we have a version with the fix available. So yes, wait until the updated version is out."

Last edited:
Hello Dynon. Is it still true that the Dynon GPS puck holds all the GPS components and antenna not like the Garmin puck is only a antenna. Does it still hold true that Dynon doesn't recommend a under the cowl location because of the heat of the engine and the hot tempertures of the southern United States that might damage the electronics in the puck.

We've specifically tested the stock location on the RV-12 under the cowl and it's fine. I don't think we've ever suggested that it isn't for heat reasons. We did worry about signal loss at one point but verified that is not an issue.

Even the "Garmin" antenna is not just an antenna. All GPS antennas have amplifiers in them, which are temperature sensitive as well.

Autopilot on checklist

I am preparing for my DFE. My CFI recommended I confirm Autopilot operation as a part of my checklist. Has anyone else seen this? What & how whould I do to confirm it is good to go on the ground?

SkyView has a built in autopilot test in the setup menu. You can't do much more than that on the ground. It confirms things move the direction you expect.

NEW Foreflight ver 9.0 has added checklist capability.

In case you haven't noticed, the latest version of ForeFlight (9) was just released and they've also added an electronic checklist option. They provided a few starter lists for various aircraft types (no RVs!) that can be customized by the user and shared with others.

I'm not savvy enough, but is there an RV-12 keener out there who can convert the electronic RV-12 checklists created for Skyview last year (see link above) into the format that ForeFlight is using ...and who would be willing to share the file with the rest of us? ('I'm obviously lazy and want to avoid having to type them all in from scratch). B.

SkyView has a built in autopilot test in the setup menu. You can't do much more than that on the ground. It confirms things move the direction you expect.

I found that on the ground you can set the autopilot in level mode and force the stick to create a slip which will be signaled on the screen. As the integrated test is transparent this gives me a positive confirmation that the autopilot is operational.

Foreflight RV12 checklist

In case you haven't noticed, the latest version of ForeFlight (9) was just released and they've also added an electronic checklist option. They provided a few starter lists for various aircraft types (no RVs!) that can be customized by the user and shared with others.

I'm not savvy enough, but is there an RV-12 keener out there who can convert the electronic RV-12 checklists created for Skyview last year (see link above) into the format that ForeFlight is using ...and who would be willing to share the file with the rest of us? ('I'm obviously lazy and want to avoid having to type them all in from scratch). B.

Did you get a response?

Back