What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon EMS-D10 Percent Power

thompsonbr87

Well Known Member
I would like to get my EMS D10 to display % power. From what I understand, it needs, RPM, MP, OAT, and altitude to make the calculation. The D10 is displaying RPM, MP, and OAT, and I've checked the configuration - which appears to be correct. So I'm assuming the D10 isn't receiving any altitude input. Looking at the pinout, there isn't a dedicated pin for altitude. I'm guessing maybe pin 19 (Auxiliary Serial Receive RS-232)? But the install manual seems to indicate this is for a GPS/Nav/Com input for the HSI expansion module. If this isn't right, how would I bring altitude into the D10?

EMS-D10 Manual (pages 2-5 and 4-2) https://www.dynonavionics.com/includes/guides/EMS-D10_Installation_Guide_Rev_I.pdf

2nd part...where to I get the altitude from? I have a Garmin G5 that is acting as the altitude encoder for a Stratus ESG transponder. The ESG has a pin dedicated to RS-232 Altitude Out (pin 24), so that seems pretty straightforward.
Stratus ESG Manual (Page 19) https://www.dynonavionics.com/includes/guides/EMS-D10_Installation_Guide_Rev_I.pdf

Am I on the right track here? This would be my first foray into any kind of panel wiring. It seems to make sense, but just want to check my understanding before I go poking around.

Last edited:
Have you posted same Q to Dynon support forum and/or called them?

They've been pretty good when I've had questions.

Have you posted same Q to Dynon support forum and/or called them?

They've been pretty good when I've had questions.

I called their tech support. The answer I got came across as "yeah, that sounds like it would probably work", but it wasn't super confidence inspiring.

Do you have a D10A or D100 EFIS?

I had my D10 connected to my D100 and it automatically calculated % power, IIRC.

Reading the D10 manual, it states you need OAT, MAP, RPM, fuel flow, and altitude (from an EFIS or GPS) to calculate the % power, as you know.

On page 4-2 of the D10 EMS Installation Guide they list the systems it is known to work with.

Your EFIS is not listed; however, if you connect it and configure it to output the data as described on page 4-3.

I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me if it worked if you configured the output the same as a 496.

Good luck!

PS. I just found this in the manual:

Dynon D10 EMS Installation Guide said:
IF YOU OWN ONLY AN EMS-D10 OR EMS-D120
We recommend that you only connect a GPS to an EMS-only system; without the magnetic heading from an EFIS, the HSI page will not be functional. Connect the GPS transmit line to pin 19 on the EMS DB37 connector. This connection will give you fuel endurance information (range, MPG, etc) on the fuel page and GPS information only (track, ground-speed, course, etc) on the HSI page. There is no need to break this connection when doing PC updates.

Last edited:
Reading the D10 manual, it states you need OAT, MAP, RPM, fuel flow, and altitude (from an EFIS or GPS) to calculate the % power, as you know.

Yes, forgot to mention FF, but that's there, too.

So that at least confirms that the EMS-D10 gets the altitude from GPS (since I don't have a compatible EFIS) via RS-232 on pin 19.

On page 4-2 of the D10 EMS Installation Guide they list the systems it is known to work with.

Your EFIS is not listed; however, if you connect it and configure it to output the data as described on page 4-3.

I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me if it worked if you configured the output the same as a 496.

Good luck!

PS. I just found this in the manual:

It looks it boils down to what sort of output I can get from the Stratus ESG. Time to do a little research on "aviation format" and "NMEA sentences".

Back