What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear seat belts

rvdave

Well Known Member
Vans no longer sells the 4 point rear seat belts for the 10, only 5 point. I've already removed the 5th attach point and already have the vans front belts. Anyone know the source vans was using for their belts so I can match what I already have in the front?

Maybe you can sub another set of fronts for the rear. I'm going out to my hangar this afternoon and can see if they are in fact the same belts.

Follow-up

So the front seat harnesses are different than the rear seat ones (I just never really noticed) to that won't work. ACS, Wicks, and Wag-Aero appear to have seatbelts & harnesses that could replace the 4-point one that Van's used to sell. The websites are particularly helpful in trying to figure out the right model so best to take a measurement a call them to get the right replacement.

This sounds strange to me.

I have 4 identical sets of Crow harnesses in my plane. They all fit fine. They were all ordered as 5 point harnesses, and I just didn't install the anti-sub belt.

No idea about the ones that you order from Van's though...

This sounds strange to me.

I have 4 identical sets of Crow harnesses in my plane. They all fit fine. They were all ordered as 5 point harnesses, and I just didn't install the anti-sub belt.

No idea about the ones that you order from Van's though...

The issue is apparently matching his current belts. The online catalog only lists the 5-point and only in black. You could just drop the crotch strap but the color could still be an issue.

Where the front belts attach to the cabin top, there's a curve to the connecting bracket which doesn't exist for the rear seat belts.

Vans no longer sells the 4 point rear seat belts for the 10, only 5 point. I've already removed the 5th attach point and already have the vans front belts. Anyone know the source vans was using for their belts so I can match what I already have in the front?

As already mentioned, you could just get the Van's belt and leave off the center strap.

For those building, recommend leaving in the center strap attach point. Even if you don't use it, it comes in handy as a tie down if you are hauling stuff with the rear seats out.

Don't forget to make sure your rear seats have a slot for the center strap.

I'm using Hooker belts on my planes - I'm happy with them.

Carl

Where the front belts attach to the cabin top, there's a curve to the connecting bracket which doesn't exist for the rear seat belts.

Is that the only difference with The Vans belts? I thought there was a length difference between front and rear?

Found out from Vans the one man shop that supplied their belts is no longer so they are referring people to other vendors.

Long story short I'm ordering rear Crow harnesses and eventually will replace fronts to match.

Is that the only difference with The Vans belts? I thought there was a length difference between front and rear?

Found out from Vans the one man shop that supplied their belts is no longer so they are referring people to other vendors.

Long story short I'm ordering rear Crow harnesses and eventually will replace fronts to match.

No - the front belts are a Y design in that the left and right harnesses come together into a single strap about 6-7" long before it terminates at the fitting/clip. The rear harnesses both go all the fitting/clip and do not merge beforehand and the overall harness length is shorter than the front ones.

I've got Crow harnesses. As Todd says the lengths are different between front and back, but the rear belts also come together and have a single attach point at the anchor - same as the front belts.

I've got Crow harnesses. As Todd says the lengths are different between front and back, but the rear belts also come together and have a single attach point at the anchor - same as the front belts.

Joe, the stock harnesses all have a single attach point but the fronts merge into a single strap before the fitting while the rears don't.

Last edited:
I understand. With the Crow harnesses both front and back merge into a single strap before the anchor. Here's a link to their web site showing what the 5 point rear straps look like.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/dyndetail.pta?catalog=0000371a&ukey=AAAMI

Yup. That's how mine are. As far as I know, all 4 harnesses are identical. Lengths and all. The anchor brackets are different, but come in a separate bag, and you just thread the webbing thru after the brackets are bolted in.

Again, this is for the Crow harness.

Back