VAF Forums

VAF Forums (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php)
-   RV-10 (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   SureFly electronic ignition (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=158343)

kkmarshall 03-04-2018 08:12 PM

SureFly electronic ignition

Decided to give the new SureFly ignition a try. One thing about it,they have made the install/conversion super easy and painless. Have only made a short test flight so far and not at very high altitude but it does start quicker and I am able to go further LOP. Perhaps 10-15 degrees higher CHT at most. Keeping the right non-impulse mag for now. Time will tell,but so far I am impressed with cost
(1500.00) ease of install,and apparent quality construction.

Keith

Steve Barnes 03-05-2018 07:35 PM

Happy with mine

I have the 6 cyl version. I can run a lot more leaner. To kill the engine I have to pull the mixture out noticeably further.

kkmarshall 03-13-2018 06:42 AM

SureFly thoughts

Have 6 hrs on the new ignition including almost 5 hrs of that being a cross country and have been well pleased. Definitely starts better cold or hot and I am able to lean around 3/4 of a gallon less per hr without roughness. Of course that brings with it a reduction in power output but if you want to save fuel and are not in an all-out hurry you can do so. I didn't notice much CHT increase,perhaps 10-15 degrees at most. My Mattituck was configured with a left impulse mag which Slick does not like at all and recommends a 250 hr inspection of the impulse coupler. So you can eliminate that issue for less cost this way than buying a retard breaker mag and Slick Start. And have a (promised anyway)
no maintenance ignition on one side. I am very impressed by ease of install and timing. Reliability,time will tell.

Pat Stewart 03-13-2018 04:03 PM

Great company with great people.

supik 03-17-2018 03:39 AM

What AMPs fuse does the Surefly need on the power lead? thx

kkmarshall 03-17-2018 06:28 AM

The unit comes with a length of wire with a 10 amp fuse inline.

supik 03-19-2018 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkmarshall (Post 1246449)
The unit comes with a length of wire with a 10 amp fuse inline.

thanks Keith!

Ivan Kristensen 04-15-2018 01:35 PM

MAP hook up?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkmarshall (Post 1243653)
Decided to give the new SureFly ignition a try. One thing about it,they have made the install/conversion super easy and painless. Have only made a short test flight so far and not at very high altitude but it does start quicker and I am able to go further LOP. Perhaps 10-15 degrees higher CHT at most. Keeping the right non-impulse mag for now. Time will tell,but so far I am impressed with cost
(1500.00) ease of install,and apparent quality construction.

Keith

How did you handle the MAP line? Did you tap a different Cyl. and if so what fittings did you use?

Thanks,

Ivan.

kkmarshall 04-15-2018 04:53 PM

I tapped into the unused primer port on #6 as it was closest to the new ignition.
Brass fitting from your local NAPA. Ignition comes with a length of MP hose.
Still quite pleased,definitely starts quicker,hot or cold. Not that it was bad before but just fires off one blade or so sooner.

Keith

Northernliving 04-15-2018 05:36 PM

Keith, What were the advantages/disadvantages over a PMag? Interested in replacing one of my mags and would appreciate pros/cons of the PMag vs the Surefly.

Brian