VAF Forums

VAF Forums (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   FAA Certification question (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=177501)

rockwoodrv9 12-06-2019 01:55 PM

FAA Certification question

I was ready to have my DAR inspection about 18 months ago, but I had to move out of state for work. I just checked with my DAR and he said forms are uploaded directly to FAA now. He said I have to upload my builders log.

Has anyone done that? How much did you send? Did you have a template or use the example list the FAA provides? I have tons of photos and can't imaging how large of a file it would be. I dont really feel like scanning receipts and notes on my plans. I can many boring hours making it ready to send.

Any help or info on what you did would be appreciated. Thanks

ty1295 12-06-2019 01:59 PM

My DAR inspection was done in Sept and I don't remember uploading or filling out any forms online, download and print, mail in or supply with inspection yes.

I am by far no expert though.

The only requirement is builder maintains a log, it technically could be a napkin with "I Worked on airplane today". What I suspect most inspectors want to know is proof it was 51% amateur built, once they feel that is to their satisfaction they don't really care. I never had to share any pictures, although I had many.

rleffler 12-06-2019 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockwoodrv9 (Post 1391095)
I was ready to have my DAR inspection about 18 months ago, but I had to move out of state for work. I just checked with my DAR and he said forms are uploaded directly to FAA now. He said I have to upload my builders log.

Has anyone done that? How much did you send? Did you have a template or use the example list the FAA provides? I have tons of photos and can't imaging how large of a file it would be. I dont really feel like scanning receipts and notes on my plans. I can many boring hours making it ready to send.

Any help or info on what you did would be appreciated. Thanks

I used FSDO, not a DAR.

He spent all of about 30 seconds looking at the three 5" binders that were my logs. I printed double sided all the content on mykitlog site. It was originally for DR, but also worked well for FSDO.

He also questioned a couple things that I did, but when I quickly handed the page out the Van's plans, he moved on.

I'm only aware of a requirement to show FSDO your build logs to get the Repairman certificate. I'm sure that the DAR would interested in seeing them too. I don't know of any requirement to scan and upload them anywhere. Unless something has changed recently.

Vern 12-06-2019 06:37 PM

New DAR procedures

I’m a DART in the Atlanta FSDO.
The new procedures begin Jan 1,2020 For us.

The website applicants use is:

Https://awc.faa.gov/AWCExternalApplicant/Splash/index

The manual to use it is under the help menu and is 233 pages.

The DARs have their own web portal and its manual is about 350 pages

The FAA has its portal which I have not seen.

The idea is to reduce paperwork and make the process more modern and digital as possible

Vic and I discussed the new procedures this week and we both have questions. I submitted a request via the Applicant portal and am trying to learn what an applicant must face.

First obstacle will be applicants need a degree of computer saviness. A scanner will be required.

More to follow later....

Google Chrome is recommended for using the portals.

Last year the FAA introduced a new major system called DMS. We use that as a digital system of submitting, approving, and coordinating DAR inspections . It seems to be working well although my opinion is that a number of DARs resigned to avoid the new techie approach.
I think this new portal system will work well eventually but we will have some teething pains.

My recommendation: work closely with your DAR and start 3-4 months ahead of inspection date. We will learn it together as we use it.

More later...

rockwoodrv9 12-06-2019 07:25 PM

Thanks for the info Vern. Not what I wanted to hear, but needed to know!

What it does is make a person have 2 builders logs. A very simple one just good enough to get passed and one that the builder keeps.

It does nothing to make the plane safer or better - just hoops. Sad.

rocketman1988 12-06-2019 07:40 PM

Lovely

Just what we need....:mad:

Vern 12-06-2019 08:12 PM

Builder log

No answer on builder log yet but I noted that EAA just released a digital builder log

The FSDO used to keep a copy of your certification files At the FSDO and forward the paperwork to Oklahoma City. That way you could get a copy of a document if you lost it. Now it seems with digital docs everything will be on a government server

Much to learn but we will get it done.

VA Maule 12-06-2019 09:50 PM

But what about folks like me who truly are on the incompetent & inadequate side of the digital divide, when I successfully get VAF up on the iPad I think I've made a major accomplishment and to make a post and getting it to upload before internet connection drops out I'am as shocked as if I had made a greaser landing with whiteness ( internet out here in the boonies is not much). As far as pictures go, sometime they show up, but for sending them out that just can't happen from here. Do the federal bureacrats simply A$$-u-me that because they have super duper internet that the rest of the world does too

rocketman1988 12-06-2019 09:59 PM

Digital

They are going to $h1t when I upload 1500+ pages plus all of the photos...

RV10Pilot 12-06-2019 10:06 PM

Does EAA have anything to say about this? I could not find anything on there web site.