What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose gear breakout question

Fearless

Well Known Member
I just need to confirm that when setting the breakout force on the nosegear - you set it with the tire just touching the ground and not with the full weight of the plane on the nose gear.

When landing my nose wheel seems to be flopping side to side on initial touchdown. It seems fine when taking off.

If you haven't already, consider the Anti-Splat nose wheel bearing mod. They also sell a nice digital spring scale for measuring break-out force.

Nose gear flopping

Mike there will be rare occurrences of flopping nosewheel. I had it several times and it is not necessary attributed to breakout force. Might be hot landing while fighting a strong cross wind you touch the runway with NW then raise it being a bit sideways. It stay cocked due to low airflow and bounces when you try to glue it...

I'm getting some light nose-wheel shimmy on landings at 200 hours...it has developed in the last 20 hours or so, and I'm thinking it might have something to do with imbalance of the wheel/tire as a result of tire wear. So check all the usual suspects!

I just bought a motorcycle wheel balancer and some balance weights, and will check/adjust the break-out force. Should be completed by Wednesday, and I'll report back here.

Back