What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thoughts on Titan ECI 180HP FI

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
Considering buying a partially finished RV7 with a Titan ECI 180HP FI engine. The engine was built from a kit by a well known local engine builder.

I will really appreciate a few recommendations and or thoughts from owners as I have not seen one before on an RV South Africa. We have checked that the cylinders are not affected by the AD on the cylinders - good news at least.

We want to use the 72" Hartzell blended airfoil prop Vans offer, on it. The crank is hollow and there a CSU pad at the back. Are there any other issues?

Much appreciated.

ECI IO360 FI

I have that same engine, built by America's Aircraft Engines, in my RV8. I am nearing completion and hope to fly this summer.

I believe the engine and ECI components will be great, it's a lycomingclone. It is spec'd to make 188 hp and should easily run LOP with the uniform distribution of fuel delivery. The ECI fuel injection system is not main stream and requires a little modification to the throttle bracket to make it work and fit. You'll also need a fuel return line back to your tank and valve, I used the Andair duplex.

I have it too. Mattituck made mine. I have the Superior FF sump and Precision FI. Other than that it is the same.

Your exhaust is different from the Lycoming M1B and you will need to contact Larry Vetterman directly and inform him that you have this engine and he makes the appropriate changes to the exhaust. Aside from that the other differences are insignificant.

My friend has the same engine in his -7 and it runs like a scalded cat!

You will be happy!

:) CJ

Same engine

Same engine in mine, also built from the kit. Mine is carburated but runs really well, so far 190 hours and recent compression checks were 80/79 on all four cylinders, I use Phillips XC and camguard. Only suggestion I would make is to make sure the pushrod tube retaining clips are superior or lycoming parts as the ECI parts broke frequently (all 4 in my case)

Bud wrote
You'll also need a fuel return line back to your tank and valve, I used the Andair duplex.
Bud, is it possible to expand a bit here or point me to your builder's log pictures?

Captain John wrote:
Your exhaust is different from the Lycoming M1B
Done - it has a 4 pipe system from Larry installed.

UK Figs wrote:
Only suggestion I would make is to make sure the pushrod tube retaining clips are superior or lycoming parts as the ECI parts broke frequently (all 4 in my case)
Are these under the cover and secondly what does it involve to change these. Please explain if you can.

Under the covers

The clips are under the covers, easy to change. If you search the forums there was a number of threads on this issue about a year ago

If you want a good look at the fuel return system required for the ECI fuel injection system check attawayair.com
He has pictures of the installation of that type system along with a description. What he has written only applies to the ECI system.

George

Great info on ECI's website

Take a look at this installation manual from ECI, about page 8 is all the info about the hardware needed, installation of the return line and the duplex andair valve. http://www.eci.aero/exp/RV8-8A.pdf

Good luck. Here's a few photos I just took:
img0026av.jpg
By dbuds2 at 2012-03-28[/IMG]
img0027ds.jpg
img0025mt.jpg

Can an Airflow FI system be fitted

Thanks for all the help so far!

Another question - can an Airflow FI system be fitted to this engine without any, or minimum modifications?

Here ya go.

Here's Airflow's contact info:

864 576 4512 ask for Don Rivera.

He matched my injectors so I can run LOP...great guy.

Best,

Thanks Pierre!
Phoned him now and it seems to be possible to fit an Airflow system.

Back