What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VNAV

mxhossai

Getting a lot of good information on this site, from fellow RV'ers. Two questions (feel free to answer either of the two or both):

1. Just got my RV12. Loving it. Howerver, whats the best way to maintain paperwork? Meaning maintenance record. I mostly use mogas, so it will be 50 hrs oil change. Other than looking over everything carefully, anything else to keep written record of? Use the Rotax maintenance guide?

2. VNAV: have anyone of you tried VNAV on RNAV approach? Whats the best way to set it up in the menu?

Please be safe out there with the virus going around and hoping you all happy flying days ahead.

I keep my logs in an EXCEL spreadsheet that includes a page each for: airframe, prop, engine, modifications (ELSA), VANS SBs and notifications, ROTAX notifications and life limited part replacement summary (Hoses, Fuel Pump, ELT Battery, etc.).

Can?t help you on the VNAV as I am a D180 guy.

RFSchaller,

Very helpful. Yes, will that myself. Makes a lot of sense and whole lot easier. Please continue to share your experience, gottcha's and just good practices to keep this airplane for a long time to come. PM msgs OK.

I keep my logs in an EXCEL spreadsheet that includes a page each for: airframe, prop, engine, modifications (ELSA), VANS SBs and notifications, ROTAX notifications and life limited part replacement summary (Hoses, Fuel Pump, ELT Battery, etc.).

Can?t help you on the VNAV as I am a D180 guy.

Any chance you would share your spreadsheet?

Question 1.
When I do any “maintenance” (something involving twisting a nut, screw, safety wire or avionics/electrical replacement/modification) I type it up on a white sticky label and post it in my log book. I’d rather have a record of what’s been done than trust my memory to recall it. I’m sure when it comes time for the next owner to work on this RV that record will be “priceless.”

Question 2.
It depends significantly on the avionics you have installed on your panel. However, here is the checklist I use to setup for any instrument approach in my RV7A. I’ve found “buttonology” and the sequence I use to setup for an instrument approach is very critical to flying a successful approach in my RV7A. While the avionics in my aircraft are in someways better than what I had in the KC-135, these independent systems need proper sequencing to play together well.

INSTRUMENT APPROACH

Garmin 430
a) Enter / Confirm – Landing Destination
b) Approach – Select and Load
c) VLOC - Same as Approach Selected
d) NAV Frequency – Entered (ILS / LOC Approaches Only)
e) CDI Source – FMS 1
f) Autopilot Source – EFIS
g) Current Heading – Enter (EFIS Heading Window)
h) EFIS – Heading Mode

EFISs
Upper PFD
a) Approach Type – Enter (GPSV, ILS, LOC, REV LOC)
b) Decision Altitude (DA) – Enter
c) Missed Approach (MA) Altitude – Enter
d) Desired / Cleared Altitude – Set in Altitude Window
e) SAP – Select (If desired)

Lower MFD
a) MAP Mode – Select EHSI Screen

BRIEF Approach
a) Frequency
b) Approach Heading
c) Altitudes (Step Downs, FAP, Minimums)
d) FAF
e) VDP
f) Missed Approach

Garmin 430 / Autopilot / CDI / EFIS
a) Garmin 430 – Approach Activate
b) Autopilot – Confirm Proper Operation
c) CDI – Confirm Heading and Needle Alignment
d) EFIS – Heading Mode and Altitudes As Cleared
e) EFIS – Execute Approach (Only after Cleared for the Approach)
f) EFIS – Missed Approach (If Required)

Last edited:
Getting a lot of good information on this site, from fellow RV'ers. Two questions (feel free to answer either of the two or both):

2. VNAV: have anyone of you tried VNAV on RNAV approach? Whats the best way to set it up in the menu?

Please be safe out there with the virus going around and hoping you all happy flying days ahead.

I use VNAV all the time in my -12 and do about 160 approaches annually with it. With the latest software update for my setup, which is the GTN650 and G3X, I can program the approach, pre-select VNAV on my GMC head unit while in NAV (it won't work in HDG mode, which makes sense if you consider that VNAV is a calculated glide path to a specific point), and then preselect APR (approach mode). Once the aircraft is established on the approach, the autopilot automatically sequences to approach mode and will turn and descend in VNAV. Once the glide path is captured, the AP sequences from VNAV to GP mode and carries on.

For approaches that do not have a defined vertical navigation, I've enjoyed the visual approach glide slope that the GTN creates - with a huge disclaimer that no terrain avoidance is provided.

Happy to send a copy of my logs to anyone who is interested just drop me a PM with an email address and I?ll send you the EXCEL file.

Just a quick update on VNAV:

So I have been flying with VNAV a few times. (3 times to be exact). So far I find that the VNAV really doesn't descent at a constant rate (3 deg slope in my case) smoothly. Its like the autopilot VNAV profile is chasing up/down the slope and never really stabilize. Not sure if you folks have / had similar issue, of if I am doing something wrong. Thanks.

Back