What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Grand champion, EAA chapter 322

Rainier Lamers

Well Known Member
Congrats to Juri Keyter, his RV-7 made Grand champion.
Here is his panel.

ZU-JUR.jpg

These are two G1 Voyagers. Of interest is the one on the right. This shows Juri's own screen design making up attractive analog gauges on the MGL equipment. It's a nice example what you can do with these things...

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

interesting

digital representations of analog guages on a glass panel. Hmmmm:rolleyes:

Does look nice, though.

izzat an icom radio? hm, maybe a v10 radio in the longer rectangle shape would sell a lot more mgl radios. I'd like to buy one, but the shape just doesn't match up well with my transponder and the other instruments in that stack.

those G1s are pretty impressive looking though, and it looks like a nice panel.

Last edited:
What I like about the panel is its simplicity.
It's clean and uncluttered and everything is exactly where it should be.

The Voyagers can each show up to 9 screens which are single button select and each of these can contain up to 10 pageable sections (which could be as bif as the entire screen), so a theoretical 90 different screens could be made up - yes, you're right of course, difficult to imagine that so many would be needed.
The analog gauge screen is a nice transition screen and can be selected on either EFIS. Should you have an (may I say "oldtimer") as pilot in your RV, switch to the old guages and your guest will be much more at ease - switching to a "normal" EFIS screen takes just a single button press when your guest (student ?) is ready.
It does make sense and since these panels can do this, why not ?

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

izzat an icom radio? hm, maybe a v10 radio in the longer rectangle shape would sell a lot more mgl radios. I'd like to buy one, but the shape just doesn't match up well with my transponder and the other instruments in that stack.

those G1s are pretty impressive looking though, and it looks like a nice panel.

Yes, you're right, it's not one of our radios.
We may very well do a radio in stackable format in the future - there have been many discussions about that here.
However, sooner than that we will have the "remote" box ready and this is just a small module that you connect to the EFIS and the EFIS itself becomes the control for the radio - so there is even less to go into the panel.
Cheaper too...

It's called the V15 and contains a 10W transmitter plus a complete audio panel - all controlled via the EFIS. Very neat.

Rainier

We may very well do a radio in stackable format in the future - there have been many discussions about that here.
However, sooner than that we will have the "remote" box ready and this is just a small module that you connect to the EFIS and the EFIS itself becomes the control for the radio - so there is even less to go into the panel.
Cheaper too...

It's called the V15 and contains a 10W transmitter plus a complete audio panel - all controlled via the EFIS. Very neat.

Rainier

how much sooner? :D

Rainier

I really like the MGL products and when the time comes your EFIS will be strongly considered. I'm thinking stand alone radio and since you mentioned it, I'd like make a suggestion for your design of this "future radio". I'd like to see a row of soft keys at the bottom (ie transponders or similar handheld pads) for quick button frequency entries that go into the standby. All other options also available of course (rotary knobs). Your much more approachable and open to ideas for your products I thought I'd shoot that out now while I had the chance. No thread hijack intended.

I really like the MGL products and when the time comes your EFIS will be strongly considered. I'm thinking stand alone radio and since you mentioned it, I'd like make a suggestion for your design of this "future radio". I'd like to see a row of soft keys at the bottom (ie transponders or similar handheld pads) for quick button frequency entries that go into the standby. All other options also available of course (rotary knobs). Your much more approachable and open to ideas for your products I thought I'd shoot that out now while I had the chance. No thread hijack intended.

One of the discussion points is that the radio (should we go for this format) has to be as slim as possible - certainly not any higher than a current Icom.
This very much limits what can be done with the radio as such as space is limited and you want a lot of display area.
We'll see what happens...

Rainier

Panel size

I'm planning on MGL so it's nice to see this panel and it looks like he used the normal size, not the over size panel. I was thinking I would have to return the standard panel for the taller one.

Cheaper too...

Rainier

Will this just be a com or a nav/com ? I hope nav/com :eek:

Will this just be a com or a nav/com ? I hope nav/com :eek:

No. It's COM and audio panel.
The V20 is a small NAV receiver in the same format (it includes the 75 Mhz marker beacon receiver as well).

So if you want nav/com, you need a V15 and V20. Still MUCH cheaper than the alternatives.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Hi Rainier,

Sorry - I'm confused. On Avcom on 3 Nov 2009 you said:

We are right in the middle of the design for the V6 VHF transceiver (V10 with rotary controls), the V15 VHF (Remote unit) transceiver/audio panel as well as the V20 Nav receiver (remote but incl. full HD Audio panel).

I took that to mean that the V20 will have Nav, HD Audio and I assumed that as it has audio, a Com radio as well. Is that not the case? It seems illogical to include an audio panel but not Com in the V20.
Thanks,
Stuart

Hi Rainier,

Sorry - I'm confused. On Avcom on 3 Nov 2009 you said:

We are right in the middle of the design for the V6 VHF transceiver (V10 with rotary controls), the V15 VHF (Remote unit) transceiver/audio panel as well as the V20 Nav receiver (remote but incl. full HD Audio panel).

I took that to mean that the V20 will have Nav, HD Audio and I assumed that as it has audio, a Com radio as well. Is that not the case? It seems illogical to include an audio panel but not Com in the V20.
Thanks,
Stuart

Sorry, my mistake (should read what I type).
The V15 is the VHF and has the audio panel.
The V20 is NAV and marker receiver. It might be that we will use it as second COM RX as well but that is not decided yet - it will depend on how we do with our filter designs.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Back