VAF Forums

VAF Forums (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php)
-   Polishing your RV (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Polishing fun (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=94683)

mannanj 01-01-2013 08:16 AM

Graphics

If you're looking for vinyl graphics, why not get them from Vince Frazier at
Flyboy Accessories. He advertises on here and his son Blake who makes them up is a pleasure to work with on your designs.

They did mine and they are a work of art. Matched my paint perfectly.

AK4x4 01-01-2013 11:32 AM

fiberglass polish

A local custom painter (motorcycles & boats mostly) just showed me a new paint system/process he has aquired. The result looks exactly like chrome plated metal. I could not distingush between various painted samples and my truck bumper. This could work well for finishing fiberglass parts. I was considering it for a spinner but he warned that it was just paint and might become damaged on a spinner due to people using the prop as a handle to move the aircraft. Anyhow just an idea for a fully polished look. Russ

Rupester 01-01-2013 01:34 PM

Chrome paint ...

I ran across a demo of that new chrome paint on Jay Leno's Garage site ... a video showing the spraying process and results. I have to say, the final finish is jaw-dropping. I never would have believed a paint could give that kind of shine and reflection. Amazing stuff.

I was completely resigned to painting my plane until I saw that pic of Jim Ellis' beauty. THAT really turned my head. Now I'm thinking like Bob C. I could have an RV masquerading as a Globe Swift! :D

Snowflake 01-01-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rupester (Post 730187)
I could have an RV masquerading as a Globe Swift! :D

You could, but not all Swifts are bare metal...

jhausch 01-02-2013 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rupester (Post 730187)
I ran across a demo of that new chrome paint on Jay Leno's Garage site ... a video showing the spraying process and results. I have to say, the final finish is jaw-dropping. I never would have believed a paint could give that kind of shine and reflection. Amazing stuff.

I was completely resigned to painting my plane until I saw that pic of Jim Ellis' beauty. THAT really turned my head. Now I'm thinking like Bob C. I could have an RV masquerading as a Globe Swift! :D

Wow - that spray on process is impressive. You were right...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-1cTpSZ1l8

Can't wait to see someone try this on the FG parts of a polished RV.

LettersFromFlyoverCountry 01-02-2013 06:41 AM

Couldn't find any product info, though. I did find a Spray-On Chrome company in Clearwater, but couldn't determine a cost vs. standard paint. It did mention it involves real silver, though. Urp.

David-aviator 01-02-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LettersFromFlyoverCountry (Post 729893)
Sure. I'm sure I bought more than I needed but there were show specials and such.

Thanks. I've been told the 2 wheel buffer is the way to go so for a few extra bucks it is worth it. My friend Ron Burnett has one, his Luscombe is always very nice.

jimbower 01-02-2013 10:26 AM

My hangar mates have a beautifully polished Sonex and I picked up some polishing tips from them. Use a small amount of the Nuvite, but spray your polishing wheel with mineral spirits. This renews the polish. I have polished selected areas of my -6A so I could apply the N-numbers and the wing walks, but the rest of it is still dull and shop-rashed. It's been more fun to fly it after more than a decade to build it! I have more money than time (actually not much of that either), so maybe my good friend Dave will polish mine for me and I will buy him lunch.

mbell 01-02-2013 11:14 AM

That Cessna 195 in the photo above used to be mine. It was a mess when I got it and took many days to get it looking decent. I'm planning to polish my next project. It's easier to start with fresh aluminum!

LettersFromFlyoverCountry 01-02-2013 12:49 PM

It was with the Metro Warbirds group at Oshkosh, where I ran into the great Bernie Ockuly, and vowed if I fly into Oshkosh someday, I want to camp with those guys!