VAF Forums

VAF Forums (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php)
-   RV-10 (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   RV-10 Emp Antennas and Static Wicks (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=156994)

AV8ER 01-17-2018 10:56 PM

RV-10 Emp Antennas and Static Wicks

Hello VAF,

After significant deliberation and thought I purchased RV-10 empennage/tailcone kit #41863 from Vans! I took a demo flight in one at SNF and we have a mission that the -10 fits perfectly so took the leap and ordered the emp kit. Quickly after its arrival I found out that decisions need to be made rather quickly as going back will take significant effort later to add or change things. I have been researching antennas and would like to place a VOR antenna in the top of the tail for VOR/LOC/GS as it seems cat whiskers have the best reception and reliability performance. I have seen pictures of others who have done this and would like to know if there is a specific model of antenna that installs the best or performs better than others? Even within the Comant line they vary wildly in price and I cannot seem to find a reason why?

Additionally I was wondering if static wicks are necessary or above and beyond? Thanks

BobTurner 01-17-2018 11:40 PM

Not what you asked, but Iíd say skip the cat whisker. Put in an ĎArcherí wingtip antenna. Gain 1/4 knot, keep from poking out your eye.
Most people seem to be skipping static wicks, too.

vic syracuse 01-18-2018 06:10 AM

I put the VOR antenna underneath the tail just ahead of the tie down. Can receive VOR's 90 miles out at altitude, and no issues when intercepting Localizer from left or right.

Vic

Carl Froehlich 01-18-2018 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vic syracuse (Post 1233075)
I put the VOR antenna underneath the tail just ahead of the tie down. Can receive VOR's 90 miles out at altitude, and no issues when intercepting Localizer from left or right.

Vic

Iíve seen this on a few RV-10 and it just scares me to think of the owner or some kid bending down under the tail and leaving an eyeball on one of these antenna rods.

I know - Iím just a worry wart.

Considering my homemade wingtip VOR antenna picks up VORs at 100+nmi and LOC/IOLS way beyond practical range, I can think of no reason to have any VOR antenna out in the breeze. Overlay that with the other practical aspect of five years of IFR cross country flying in the RV-10 and never using a VOR - other than tuning in the next one down the track ďjust in caseĒ.

Carl

9GT 01-18-2018 08:40 AM

I put mine up there. Keeps it out of the way and gets great reception. I know some people put it on the bottom of the tail cone, but I do not like the look of them there. I can't remember the brand I used but the whiskers went into a composite puck about 2-1/2" - 3" diameter and 5/8" thick. I had to trim the top of the VS fairing to fit it in. After installation I faired it in with some micro & flox mix and painted what stuck out after masking off the rods.
[IMG]DSC01478 by David C, on Flickr[/IMG]

9GT 01-18-2018 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich (Post 1233093)
Iíve seen this on a few RV-10 and it just scares me to think of the owner or some kid bending down under the tail and leaving an eyeball on one of these antenna rods.

Considering my homemade wingtip VOR antenna picks up VORs at 100+nmi and LOC/IOLS way beyond practical range, I can think of no reason to have any VOR antenna out in the breeze. Overlay that with the other practical aspect of five years of IFR cross country flying in the RV-10 and never using a VOR - other than tuning in the next one down the track ďjust in caseĒ.

Carl

I am considering the Archer wing-tip VOR antenna in my -9 Carl. Do you know if LED lighting and strobes give any interference with the Archer since its all in the same space in close proximity to each other?

Auburntsts 01-18-2018 08:54 AM

Quote:

l

It's a non-issue IMO. I won't say the risk is zero, but it's pretty low.

Kiwi flyer 01-18-2018 08:58 AM

Vic what brand did u use, any special mods needed to secure? . Thx Pete

Auburntsts 01-18-2018 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi flyer (Post 1233110)
Vic what brand did u use, any special mods needed to secure? . Thx Pete

As a data point, I have a RAMI AV-12L and I put in a doubler that is tied into the structure -- probably overkill but typical of an early build decision made years prior to first flight.

leok 01-18-2018 10:27 AM

Quote:

Carl

Carl, I have an Archer wingtip VOR antenna planed for installation. DO you know if that will give reasonable performance for GS and ILS or will I need an additional/alternate antenna?