What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why non-Van's fuel/brake line, windows, brakes, etc? (delete kit parts)

Jets410

Hi All-
I've read up a bit on this subject but something still eludes me as a non-engineer (a clinical human factors guy), first-time builder who is usually happy with "typical": Why do many folks delete kit parts and substitute aftermarket parts? I can deduce "it works better" or "it looks better" and even "it installs better", but most of that isn't clearly stated in the threads. As in a few other threads, I'm ready to pull the trigger on my QB wings & fuse, but keep finding stuff that people typically swap out. I've deduced most folks get the Andair fuel valve for looks and function. Ok I'm sold (and there's a picture on Van's site). But how about the following; WHY do you swap the following from Van's stock?

Fuel lines (and associated connectors, hardware, etc)
Brake lines (and hardware)
Brake parts (seems Matco is a beefier product?)
Windows and light/lens plexiglass

Please add your $.02, why you swapped something and who you went with.
Thanks,
-Scott

You kind of answered your own question; some alternatives are perceived to be better by some people, some of the time.

Another version of the same answer is that there is a certain minimalism in Vans design and engineering choices - very much to his/their credit. That's what makes it affordable and what makes them perform.

In kit plane land, making decisions about this stuff is where much of the fun is. You can go stock or you can go full Monty. Get carried away and you might even earn a scolding from Van himself (look it up).

Rest assured that if you build it stock, the finished product will out perform your dreams. That's what makes this particular product line so darn good. Tweak it a bit with some intelligence, and you can make it even better. Get carried away and you'll probably still enjoy yourself.

Good place to be eh?

This is why I went with the other options.

The bradded fuel and brake lines are easier to work with and less chance of Leakage. They offer greater safety.

The Dresser windows etc, so much easier to work with, very little trimming needed. Better quality, not much more in cost.

Matco brakes, little heavier, but they will stop you.

Builders who choose to substitute parts will offer rationalizations, but IMHO the real answer to your question lies more in the human psychology of spending and purchasing and perceived value, and less in the the realm of rational decision making.

Because

Because, for example, being able to stop is a psychologically perceived value?

The physics are there, as well as real world examples...the aftermarket brakes WILL perform better than the stock ones...

I will grant you that there are some "upgrades" that are done more for a perceived value but there are some that do actually work better...another example is the Plane Around third latch. Does the stock one work? Yes. Does the Plane around work better? Most people here would answer with a resounding "yes".

choices

In my view the question of building with Van?s vs. aftermarket parts comes from multiple lines of thought.

Appearance. The Andair fuel valve looks cool.

Ease of building. Flexible fuel and brake lines are easier than rigid tube to install.

Comforts. Air conditioning, interior, insulation etc. add creature comforts

Differentiation. Make my plane my own

Future maintenance issues. Axel extensions.

Safety robustness. Door latch mods.

None of this is needed if what you want is a basic utilitarian aircraft. Every modification will add cost, and in many cases, build time and complexity.

The great thing is that the choices are yours to make.

Our RV10 is based in the UK and we bought it completed. It was built using stock parts other than the door handles, ours has door locks.

The only after market part we have fitted is a Matco nosewheel axle. The Vans axle is very vulnerable to having insufficient torque and then it spins damaging the fork.

The Matco axle has a separate retaining nut to prevent rotation. So that is the only change we have made in 4 years of oerating a stock aeroplane

Scott, this is one of those never ending debates. OE parts verses aftermarket parts. WE all know MANY RV's, including RV10's, built and flying that are stock. They are safe, reliable aircraft built with the mind set of using what Vans applied to therir prototype aircraft.
There are many RV's that are built and flying with aftermartket parts too. Strictly the option of the builder of course. Many use different engines, avionics, interiors, fuel systems, and yes plumbing systems. Whether these accessories are any more reliable, functional or offer a superior benefit to the aircraft is a never ending debate, and yes some flame wars.

My .02 cents worth is to see what you want out of your plane. Then go see alot of different RV10's. Local fly in's, Sun N Fun, Oshkosh, perhaps even a trip to Vans themselves and see how these planes are the same, and different. Talk to the owners or builders and see why they opted to do what they did. Then compare notes and see if that those options fit in with your ideas.

Tom

As a fun exercise, if you did every mod and put in every after market part and piece that somebody thought they had to have, your build would cost more and weigh more. A lot more....

This is especially true of the earlier kits. Back in the day, CS props, FI, AP's and fancy interiors where mods....

I would think with the newer kits, more refinement and more factory options make the stock products "need" or beg for fewer after market "upgrades". However, there are some good points brought up in this thread to get you thinking.

Back