What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antenna cable routing

JHartline

Well Known Member
Curious how folks are routing antenna cables, mainly to the comm antennas on the bottom of the aircraft. Does anyone have a nice pretty method for running the coax cables through the cockpit? I plan to run the GPS and XPDR cables through the tunnel but I think the comms and nav would be better run along the sidewalls and I want to conceal/protect them as much as possible. That will require drilling a hole in the control column cover. No biggie there but I want to explore options before I start drilling holes.

Given the proximity of the comm antenna locations in the bottom skins, and easy routing from there through to the tunnel, why would you go outboard? The lightening holes in the cover ribs lead directly from the bottom skin locations to the tunnel area.

I haven't gotten that far along in my build but that looks like the easy way to me. If I'm missing something, apologies.

I ran both the Com antenna coax through the center tunnel with easy install and no operating issues.

The tunnel is best but there is some requirement to separate the GPS antenna cable from the others and I was going to run it there. I need to ask Garmin about the distance requirement.

I ran the comm, 625 GPS, transponder and ADS-B in antenna cables through the tunnel. I've got 150 hours on it now and have not had any difficulties.

For the comm antennas, running through the center channel does seem like the easiest route. My question is how did you get to the center? Did you route between the wing spars or keep it in the control column cover?

My control column cover bushings are full from the control stick wires and am contemplating how to efficiently get between the wing spars with good securing points.

thanks
Mark

Back