VAF Forums

VAF Forums (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php)
-   Places To Fly...Things to See...Things to Eat (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Do people use the RV Hotel? (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=149397)

pa38112 05-11-2017 07:49 AM

Do people use the RV Hotel?

I have been listed on the RV hotel list for a couple of years, and have never had a visitor. I have spoken to two other participants, and they tell the same story. The three of us are in very popular destination spots on the East cost, and we are willing to bend over backwards for fellow RVers – Loaner cars, hanger space, maintenance, food, ect. ? I know that I always feel like I am imposing by asking to use a stranger’s house. Then I realize that I would want the individual to ask me in the same situation. I am wondering what other RV Hotel participants are experiencing?

ChuckGant 05-11-2017 08:16 AM

First I've heard about the RV Hotel. Maybe not enough people are aware of it. Now that you brought it up, I found it on the front page of the website, but I hadn't noticed it in the past. Great idea.

dweyant 05-11-2017 09:20 AM

I've been able to find hangar space in my neighborhood twice in the last year and a half for folks flying in. Haven't ever had anyone stay with us though.

-Dan

BruceEicher 05-11-2017 10:27 AM

I e-mailed Doug some time ago offering up my home near the Mother Ship. But it never got listed. I know the Oregon listings are old. Might be a project that never receives Doug's time in a busy day? But I have met up and made friends with homes thru the forum...

[ed. Bruce,
I’m sorry I don’t remember getting your email. I update these pretty quickly after I get info (not that many people send in info).
Please do and I’ll get it listed.
v/r,
dr]

pa38112 05-11-2017 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceEicher (Post 1172330)
I e-mailed Doug some time ago offering up my home near the Mother Ship. But it never got listed. I know the Oregon listings are old. Might be a project that never receives Doug's time in a busy day? But I have met up and made friends with homes thru the forum...

I think his daughter use to manage the list, but with her in college I guess you are correct.

[ed. Nope. I edit it. Please send in your info! v/r,dr]

MercFE 05-11-2017 11:09 AM

I've definitely looked through it and have thought to plan trips by it...

Maybe someone from the group can take over the administration of the list... The couple of times I've almost used it, it was out of date.

RVbySDI 05-11-2017 11:29 AM

I am listed there but have never had a visitor. I have attempted to contact some in the past when I was traveling but have never been successful in using it yet. Still hoping to do so in the future though.

Bill Boyd 05-11-2017 01:09 PM

Same here

no takers.

pa38112 05-11-2017 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercFE (Post 1172340)
I've definitely looked through it and have thought to plan trips by it...

Maybe someone from the group can take over the administration of the list... The couple of times I've almost used it, it was out of date.

Doug, if you would like help with this I will volunteer. I would contact everyone on the list once a year to verify that their information is correct. I could possibly add a ratting system, or a way for people to leave comments and or photos under each listing...

[ed. Thank you for the offer! It’s easy to update, however, so it’s really no problem for me to do it.
Historically, when someone’s housing configuration changes they contact me. Or a neighbor will contact me if the person passes away.
v/r,dr]

ty1295 05-11-2017 01:45 PM

I would say most people are afraid to call up a stranger and ask.

If everyone that was on the list put up a quick intro, it might help break the ice of being a stranger as much.

I would assume everyone on the list wants people to call.