What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3 Blade lower cowl Mods

rjarrell

javascript:Detail('{18A2F07B-FF8C-4F82-BAD1-55B8F8250A41}',0,'{4D5A29C6-E06D-4C76-A066-EDA96557F7F7}','')

Vans%20Forum%20Pix

Struggling with pix for now

Read a lot of post about the extended opening required for a 3 blade prop but had to guess at measurements. Sharing pix of my modification after swapping a 2 blade Whirlwind for a 3 blade Hartzell composite. Should be at the Hartzell display at Osh...oops Air Adventures this year if you want a closer look.

Removal is not fun but doable with two people, protect the blades by covering the hinge on top of the bottom cowl (I used brake tubing and trying different sizes of PVC trim from McMaster Carr) I'll share when I get it right.

Tie down the tail to lift the front wheel off the ground (chock the mains first). Tried it without this step and it can be done but very difficult, you pick up over and inch of clearance.

Cowl installation seems easier if you slide in from the side, tape up anything you don't want scratched up. Remove the front gear leg cover, pants can stay on.

Last edited:
3 blade lower cowl mods

I installed Rod Bower's Ram system on my RV10. Not only did it give me 1-2" of manifold pressure increase in cruise, it also makes it easier getting the lower cowl off around my 3 blade prop. A side benefit is you can remove the ram air duct and examine the bottom of the engine without having to remove the lower cowl.
I've got pictures on my web site http://www.nwacaptain.com/eng_induction.html

Greg...

This may be a silly question, but what are the benefits of going with a 3-bladed prop, besides the cool factor? Anybody want to lay out their version of the pros and cons of a 3-blade?

One quick answer is that for a well balanced propeller, the three blades at 120` are out of phase with the power pulses at 90`of a four cylinder engine, and the result is less vibration. But you know you can read anything on the internet. :eek:

This may be a silly question, but what are the benefits of going with a 3-bladed prop, besides the cool factor? Anybody want to lay out their version of the pros and cons of a 3-blade?

Three bladed props ?generally? feel smoother and have more ground clearance at the cost a a little speed and some added weight. YMMV

One quick answer is that for a well balanced propeller, the three blades at 120` are out of phase with the power pulses at 90`of a four cylinder engine, and the result is less vibration. But you know you can read anything on the internet. :eek:

Maybe, but since we're in the RV-10 Forum it's a 6 cylinder engine not a 4 so the power pulses aren't 90 deg apart. I'd argue that the "perceived" smoothness comes more from the lower tip speed and vibration of the 3-bladed prop than anything else.

Anyway here's an old thread that sums up the 2 v 3 debate: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=1495

Back