What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip Up Canopy Latch

drone_pilot

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to install the canopy latch mechanism and saw an RV-7A that did not have the latch handle protruding through the slot in the side of the fuselage. It just had a key lock in the canopy skirt that had a hook to hold it latched down to the canopy deck when in the locked position. Has anyone out there modified the side handle latch handle so that it does not require the slots being cut in the side of the fuselage? If so, I'd like to see pics of how you did it.

JDAir sells a really nice flush latch handle for the tip up.

I installed it in my RV-9A and also added a key lock for the canopy.
IMG_3248-M.jpg

Lots more photos of my install in my build web site.

JDAir sells a really nice flush latch handle for the tip up.

I installed it in my RV-9A and also added a key lock for the canopy.
IMG_3248-M.jpg

Lots more photos of my install in my build web site.

Just be advised that if you intend to use Classic Aero's full Aviator interior with side panels, according to CAD, these latches are incompatible with their side panel. Nice looking latch, and I would have used it had it not been for the interior panel issue...

An added note about Classic Aero Interiors:
I have the Classic Aero Sportsman interior with this latch and they made a custom side panel for me. Working with Luke Doughton, I made a cardboard template and sent it to them. I also made an aluminum cover for my key lock and they covered it with leather. Came out perfect.

An added note about Classic Aero Interiors:
I have the Classic Aero Sportsman interior with this latch and they made a custom side panel for me. Working with Luke Doughton, I made a cardboard template and sent it to them. I also made an aluminum cover for my key lock and they covered it with leather. Came out perfect.

I was happy you did the grunt work for me. I purchased the same last may they fit great.

Classic Aero rocks...they made a custom cover for the flap motor housing for me, and it was *perfect*.

Now I just need to get them to come up with a cover for the tip-up side rails to cover the rivets and nuts :)

Back