What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show Us Your Panel

jsharkey

Well Known Member
Here is my RV6 panel so far - still to be wired!

Dynon D100, GPS Map 496, A210, GTX 327
Cheap Chinese ASI and ALT from Van's - We'll see how they work
UMA electric tach - feels nice
Oil P & T, Ammeter and Fuel gauges from Van's - We'll see how they work too
Alternator warning light, HOBBS, Slip Ball and ELT Control Panel
LH combined mags and start - master switch with "big red light" next to it
Bottom row breaker/switches - Alt, Boost, Electric Prime Push, Beacon, Avionics, Nav and Land - plus 3 breakers per plans
Holes for canopy release and cabin heat controls
Van's vents (??)
Light Machine Gray Rust-O-Leum Professional - Plan dry transfer labels
Compass with GPS and XM antennas on top of tip-up glare shield.
Throttle, Mixture, Carb Heat, Electric Trim and Flaps and Emergency Carb Air on RV6 "Center Console" channel

You can guess my philosophy on "glass panel only".

Light on engine instrumentation - but that's all the C172s that I fly have (?) - and there is still room on the panel.

panelfrontfq2.jpg

panelrearzo5.jpg

Last edited:
Would like to post a picture - someone tell me how! When I click the Insert image button, it asks for a web URL without the ability to upload the picture that I have ready.....

Would like to post a picture - someone tell me how! When I click the Insert image button, it asks for a web URL without the ability to upload the picture that I have ready.....

On the upper left of this web page, there is "insert pics" under "today's posts".

L.Adamson

Post your pictures on an Image Sharing Site like Image Shack and then referece the image address in your post.

Aerotronics recently delivered my panel; I'm now starting the installation process:
panelinst.jpg

Blue Mountain EFIS One w/Autopilot (and Engine Pod), TruTrak Attitude, UMA steam gauges, PMA6000 audio panel (w/mp3 input and power receptacle right of glovebox), SL30, GTX327 Transponder. Above the glovebox it the battery backup controls for my ignition. Van's vents will be tucked under bottom edge of panel at the sides, and engine controls on the center console. Intercom jacks are run to the center of the seat brace and housed in the electric flap area. Sticks only have PTT and Autopilot quick-disengage.

No backup on the engine instrumentation, but if the EFIS goes down I will be landing quickly anyway. If both the engine and EFIS fail at once, I will have the same instrumentation, less vario, as any other glider and I have glider hours. More seriously, the ignition has a battery backup and so does the panel. The engine failing should not bring down the panel, so a double failure would be an incredible coincidence in which case backup engine instruments would not be useful; my priority would be get the plane on the ground.

Sub Panel Height?

For those working on panels and using a lower 'sub-panel' for switches & controls; what height (2" ?) are you making this sub panel?

It was nice to be able to look at the Affordable Panels web site as an ideas resource; but now that it is not open anymore, would like input from others.

Thanks

For those working on panels and using a lower 'sub-panel' for switches & controls; what height (2" ?) are you making this sub panel?....
My Van's oversize panel is 2.2" longer than the regular panel. In addition, because of all the handy factory bends incorporated into it, I ordered a spare brace that spans the width of the fuselage. Its the part the seat backs rest against. Using a small length of it, I fabbed up a subpanel for the control cables and that is attached to the main panel with 3 screws and nutplates. It can be quickly dropped out of the way for easy maintenance. I have no issues with knee clearance.

My Van's oversize panel is 2.2" longer than the regular panel. In addition, because of all the handy factory bends incorporated into it, I ordered a spare brace that spans the width of the fuselage. Its the part the seat backs rest against. Using a small length of it, I fabbed up a subpanel for the control cables and that is attached to the main panel with 3 screws and nutplates. It can be quickly dropped out of the way for easy maintenance. I have no issues with knee clearance.
Rick6A,
What is the overall height of your panel, top to bottom, the main panel itself.
Thx

Rick6A,
What is the overall height of your panel, top to bottom, the main panel itself.
Thx
I really can't say....I'm at home. But it should be a simple thing to ask Van's what the dimensions of the oversize panel are. All I can recall off hand is that it is 2.2 inches longer than stock.

If I recall correctly, the stock panel for Louise's plane was 10-7/8" high, and we added a 2" sub-panel...

Paul

Live Panel

Finally fired everything up today. No bangs or smoke. Looks great compared to the Cessnas I'm used to flying.
livepanelfd0.jpg

Jim Sharkey
RV6 Tip-up - Wiring etc

My RV6 Panel Update

I'm nearing completion of a panel upgrade on my RV6 and thought I would share it here. I finished the RV6 in 1999. I fly some IFR, but with very conservative limits.

This first picture is "before" this upgrade - KX155, KX125, enroute IFR GX55, Pictorial Pilot plus Al Trac, Tetra II CHT/EGT plus lots of gauges.

SAM_0391.jpg

This next picture is the updated panel. Key elements are Skyview, Dynon D-6 backup EFIS, Dynon Com, GTN650 GPS/Nav/Com, Dynon Transponder and ADSB. I'm handling the audio through the Dynon intercom plus a couple of switches. So far this seems to work well. You will see that I moved the engine controls to the main panel and added a map (oops - now a lunch) box. I also added brakes to the co-pilot side and switched to a lithium based battery. There are no changes to the electronics busses or switches. I may add an IPad mount on the right side.

SAM_0502.jpg

Motivation for the project was an RV12 I finished in 2012. I liked the Skyview and ADSB in the RV12 so much that I decided to update the RV6.

I am just getting it together - have done an engine run and weighed it. Still need to calibrate the fuel gauges and remote compasses and trouble shoot the fuel flow set-up which did not seem to work on the first engine run. So far everything else seems to be working. Weight came down 13 pounds, mostly due to the battery change.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it does in the air.

<snip>

I am just getting it together - have done an engine run and weighed it. Still need to calibrate the fuel gauges and remote compasses and trouble shoot the fuel flow set-up which did not seem to work on the first engine run. So far everything else seems to be working. Weight came down 13 pounds, mostly due to the battery change.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it does in the air.

Doesn't the weight of just the three gyro instruments and the vacuum pump come out to that amount before the battery is taken into account?

Weight Change Question

Gil, thanks for the comment. That is exactly my thought. I think we did proper weighings in 1999 and yesterday.

I have not done a detailed accounting. Some factors:
- The added right side brakes and Van's map box.
- Added mounts behind baggage area for ADAHRS, compass for the D-6.
- The ADS-B receiver, antenna and wiring - also behind baggage area.
- Added metal in the panel. It is the original panel plus perhaps a 70% overlay along bottom and entire mid portion.
- There is a lot of new wiring with the computer network system, a hub, etc.
- Back-up batteries for the Skyview and D-6 add something.
- I changed from metal to fiberglass gear leg fairings years ago and did not re-do W&B at the time, so maybe the plane was a bit heavier than I thought.

All that said, I was expecting perhaps another 10 pounds of reduction. Not a big deal but annoying. It is still a "heavy" RV6 - 1,092 pounds with 180 and constant speed. A few pounds one way or the other is not going to change that.

Moving Engine Controls

Originally they were on the vertical panel support as in the RV6 plans. I moved them to the sub-panel to improve access to beneath the panel for inspections, etc.

When I did that it was necessary to offset the sub-panel to the right for knee clearance because I have very long legs (6'4" and 36" inseam) . This drew comments from some of my larger passengers about interfering with their legroom.

With the new layout there was plenty of room to move them up, out of the way and back to the center.

Thanks to Steinair and Dynon

While this panel update thread is alive I want to express my thanks to those at Steinair and Dynon for their excellent phone and on-line support - especially the "how to" videos from Steinair.

With their help, I have a good start in learning to work with still another aspect of the systems that make our airplanes the wonderful machines that they are.

We need to all appreciate what they, and many other small businesses, are doing to make homebuilding and experimental aviation accessible to those of us who do not have a technical background but want to learn.

Just updated N2EP with this panel. To the right of the Com and Intercom is a panel covering a cutout for a second screen for when funds become available.

0b45df4d75cfcd69edb212510b9c7df4_zps5498de3e.jpg

love that panel

Simple effective and very close to what i plan to do. The second screen is that a necessary thing? In my research it seems ok for redundancy but what do you feel a second screen will do for you, if you dont mind my asking thanks?

I am going to put a turn and bank coordinator and airspeed in my panel so that when night flying i can keep er right side up in a power failure....

Nice panel!

Simple effective and very close to what i plan to do. The second screen is that a necessary thing? In my research it seems ok for redundancy but what do you feel a second screen will do for you, if you dont mind my asking thanks?

Thanks!

The second screen is not necessarily necessary, but it would be very nice to have. As in an plane, a second screen gives you more real estate so one screen can be PFD (synthetic vision) full screen, and the other can me moving map, sectional charts, approach plates, etc. have you ever heard anyone say, "I really wish I didn't have as many EFIS acreens as I do"? I certainly haven't.

The main reason Anthony went with the AFS is that I prefer that to the Dynon for a single screen installation, which is what he has now. For more than one screen, I prefer the Dynon. Both of these are mainly for the way they display the engine information. AFS lends itself more to a single screen efficiency, while Dynon lends itself more to flexibility and customization with multiple screens.

Almost done......

I'm now ready to tackle switch labels. The panel is almost complete. Finally...
o4L.jpg

Last edited:
Mine

Wendell and I have been running pretty much in parallel with our panels (except that I have done it 4 times - changing your mind can be costly!). He has done a superb job with his. Mine is here:

My 1998 6A is getting an upgrade at last

Seven years in the planning, six months in execution, it;s almost ready to emerge from the basement, come off the buck, and see if she fits in the real cockpit. I'm estimating another month from the time I gut the existing avionics to when I have the gal airworthy again.

DC power and switchology wiring first

Modular panel approach

Fire-baked flat black finish before P-touch white-on-black labels and matte clearcoat (Krylon)

Second pair of eyes and a keen nose for escaping magic smoke are always a help with big projects like this

The "buck" includes panel to F/W rib emulation to allow an avionics tray for the Trig TT22, TY91 transponder and comm, the MAP sensor, GPS module and single AHRS (all GRT stuff)

Service loops and fuse block buses, lacing tape galore. No more of the sloppy wiring rat's nest I've endured for 17 years. I can do better!

Lights on. 10'4" HXr. The Trio ProPilot that goes in the hole below the Mini-X is already in the old panel for familiarization. When the time comes, it will be a plug and play insert into the new panel, thanks to some adapter cable commonality I pigtailed in to the old and new panels for servo connection.

Now comes the death by a thousand cuts of programming, connecting the new to the old, and seeing if the Trig radio intercom works as advertised.

-Stormy

Last edited:
Panel Upgrade

I finally did a panel upgrade over the winter months on my 2004 RV6A. I swapped the out the steam gauges for an EFIS.

This started last year when my attitude gyro died on the way to KOSH. I spoke to all the vendors at KOSH and decided to go with the GRT Sport SX.
I chose GRT for several reasons, available features, price, and I had their EIS engine monitor, which gave me the ability to display the engine instrumentation, fuel levels, etc. by connecting 1 wire from the EIS to the Sport. The amount of information displayed on the EFIS is amazing. I included an external ARINC module to communicate to the Garmin 430 and the TruTrak AP, and added synthetic vision.

I decided to rebuild the entire panel rather than plug holes in the center and right section of the panel. I did not move the radio stack as the sub panel had originally been modified to accept the depth of the Garmin 430. The EIS is mounted behind the panel as I now view all instrumentation on the EFIS. I eliminated all the round gauges, since I never flew the aircraft IFR I decided for my use this would be acceptable. Future plans include a battery backup for the EFIS.

The red light to the upper left side of the EFIS is a warning light from the EIS, the only alarm set on the EIS is the oil pressure as I do not have the EFIS powered up at engine start. All the other alarms are set within the EFIS.

After swapping everything out the net weight drop was about 7.5 lbs.

The tech support at GRT was very helpful when I had questions during the install.:)

So far I am still tweaking settings and getting used to flying with the EFIS. I can say it took a bit of getting used to but I really like it so far.

Here are a couple before and after pictures;

IMG_0984.JPG

IMG_1219.JPG

Keeping the old instruments?

While this panel update thread is alive I want to express my thanks to those at Steinair and Dynon for their excellent phone and on-line support - especially the "how to" videos from Steinair.

With their help, I have a good start in learning to work with still another aspect of the systems that make our airplanes the wonderful machines that they are.

We need to all appreciate what they, and many other small businesses, are doing to make homebuilding and experimental aviation accessible to those of us who do not have a technical background but want to learn.

Keith,
Great looking panel.
Message me if you are interested in selling them.

Daddyman

Where's my Kleenex?

This thread physically hurts to look at. :(

If I had made my prediction of "a month to installation," my panel would have been in the hangar, which did not burn, instead of the basement, which did. Nothing left of this project but ashes, and my Erie homeowners insurance policy has a specific clause which excludes "airplanes, and airplane parts" from any coverage.

Based on this, they are presently denying coverage even for my wiring tools from SteinAir (you read that right - wire cutters from an avionics supplier? Not covered! From a big box store? Sure, how many pairs did you own? Snap-On, right? Seat heater elements from JC Whitney? We can't cover those since they were going to be "airplane seat heaters." EIS that I might put on an airboat or Jay Leno in his EcoJet car? Forgetaboutit!) It's nuts. According to an estimate from Stein, I'm out about 27k (parts & labor) on this because they have this crazy exclusion. Thankfully there was no limit on guns and jewelry, and since we went through an inventory specialty subcontractor, they are giving us new (not deprectiated) replacement price on what they do cover. Some things do net-out in the end, I suppose. Still, it rankles...:mad:

-Stormy

EIS Connection

What did you have to do to covert the EIS ?

I am assuming you are referring to the connection I made from the EIS to the EFIS. The EIS wire harness has a serial out wire (grn/blk) which is connected to pin 31 on the Sport, (RX2 EIS Serial Input).

There is no conversion the EFIS accepts the data from the EIS as is.

Re: Where's my Kleenex?

This thread physically hurts to look at. :(

If I had made my prediction of "a month to installation," my panel would have been in the hangar, which did not burn, instead of the basement, which did. Nothing left of this project but ashes, and my Erie homeowners insurance policy has a specific clause which excludes "airplanes, and airplane parts" from any coverage.

Based on this, they are presently denying coverage even for my wiring tools from SteinAir (you read that right - wire cutters from an avionics supplier? Not covered! From a big box store? Sure, how many pairs did you own? Snap-On, right? Seat heater elements from JC Whitney? We can't cover those since they were going to be "airplane seat heaters." EIS that I might put on an airboat or Jay Leno in his EcoJet car? Forgetaboutit!) It's nuts. According to an estimate from Stein, I'm out about 27k (parts & labor) on this because they have this crazy exclusion. Thankfully there was no limit on guns and jewelry, and since we went through an inventory specialty subcontractor, they are giving us new (not deprectiated) replacement price on what they do cover. Some things do net-out in the end, I suppose. Still, it rankles...:mad:

-Stormy

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your panel, tools, etc.. I hope no one was injured.

New panel for an old RV-6A

Here's the plan...
IMG_20150821_143500_zpscdtkmmcs.jpg

Check sent for the equipment. Installation planned for November.

Brian Robinson
Centennial, CO
RV-6A, Lycoming O-360

What are you planning for your switching means between the two GARMIN radios?

Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering, Inc.

Looks like another beautiful job, by Jesse

I am envious --- I will take a picture of your panel, enlarge it, and tape it over my panel when I have visitors to look at my plane.

Take care,

Ron

Just finishing up my panel upgrade (as well as a thousand other things on the RV-6) :rolleyes: from the past year. The new panel, anchored by 2 Advanced Flight Systems 5600's integrated with Dynon XPDR, Comm, ADS-B, ARINC; TruTrak Vizion A/P; Garmin GTN650; PS Engineering Audio Panel. The main harness was fabricated by Pacific Coast Avionics. These systems are simply amazing in their capability and features. Rob, Jenny, Jeffrey, Ken, and all of the folks at Advanced flight Systems have been wonderful to work with. (Including my lovely wife Tricia... Yes, I am a lucky guy) ;) They've all been really great! A big thanks to all of the folks involved in this effort!

While digging into the manuals last night as I sat in the airplane, the Northwest was again getting hammered by another pacific cold front. As I was sitting there, I could watch the ADS-B Nexrad data update, check airport info around the area (KUAO 17023G35KT 4SM RA), and see occasional bizjet and airline traffic targets going over probably wishing they were on the ground. All from the comfort of the stationary cockpit. Meanwhile, I could see what the weather was doing in Miami which looked way more pleasing than the NW deluge that we were about to suffer...:eek:

20151208_220230-fixed.jpg

Not a great pic due to lighting, but I'm playing with Night Mode consisting of a dimmable LED light strip mounted under the panel flange. It produces a nice indirect area lighting effect:
20151208_231811.jpg

As I finish up the myriad of software settings, component checks, user training and return to flight test cards, this system should be light years ahead of what was in my panel for the first 10 years of it's service. I'm sure it will take a few hours to master but the additional capability is very impressive!

Last edited:
Poor man's glass panel

I purchased a Dynon D10A a while back and loved it. Later, connected the Dynon AP-74 autopilot and loved it more! So I decided to buy a GPS to drive the autopilot for tracking and nav (although not certified for approaches- but keeps the costs down) and bought an iFly 740. I have been so impressed with the system that I added a Dynon Engine Monitor System (D10) and put it all together in a flow that looks Kick-A$$. I love the way it looks and performs. Here are some pictures of before and after.
[/URL[URL=http://s942.photobucket.com/user/moro17/media/IMG_0056_zpsqqyoh9gv.jpg.html]

It's done!

Pahan Ranasingha and his team at Avionics Installations, Inc., Spruce Creek, Florida did the installation. G3X Touch, GTN 625, GTX 23, GTR 200. More capable than anything I've ever flown. I am a very happy customer. The flight home to Colorado was a pleasure. Now I need to update the interior.

Last edited:
Pahan Ranasingha and his team at Avionics Installations, Inc., Spruce Creek, Florida did the installation. G3X Touch, GTN 625, GTX 23, GTR 200. More capable than anything I've ever flown. I am a very happy customer. The flight home to Colorado was a pleasure. Now I need to update the interior.
Nice! What does the TO/GA button do?

Nice! What does the TO/GA button do?
TO/GA= "takeoff/go-around". On the ground it give wings level and a user defined pitch-up to the command bars. In the air it commands a climb and will sequences to the missed approach procedure.

pictures

I have tried to post pics several times and to no avail.... i finally gave up. Yes i read the instructions on the "upper left" and still doesnt work.

I have tried to post pics several times and to no avail.... i finally gave up. Yes i read the instructions on the "upper left" and still doesnt work.

I use photobucket and use the IMG URL. If you're successful you'll see your image when you "preview" your post. Keep trying. I love seeing other pics!

Back