What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buying someone else's project?

Steenos

I understand that buying someone else's project this far along will null my ability for a repairmans cert. But This guy claims all the plane needs is engine and radios. It's about 5 hours one way but the time savings of where the project is would make it worth it.

Any tips, concerns would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I believe that if it is to be an ELSA RV-12 then it would not matter who built it as long as you have taken the 2 day course that qualifies you to maintain and inspect the airplane.

If I had to do it all over again, I would build a tail kit first and then start looking for a project to take over.

The knowledge and skills gained during the building of the tail will apply to the entire project. Once you have completed at least one major sub assembly you would be in a better position to judge what you are looking at, and if the work is acceptable to your standards.

Im sure you have read about the importance of having a qualified builder look it over for you, but I understand thats not always possible & practical which is the situation I was in while looking.

Had I took the time to finish the tail kit I already owned I would have not bought the project I have now. When I bought my quickbuild 7a it was on gear with the canopy underway. Right now, its off the gear with virtually every rivet driven by the original builder drilled out and the quickbuild fuse is not to the quickbuild stage if you can imagine that!

Be careful

LSA compliant means nothing as far as the repairman certificate goes.
LSA compliant only means that it can be flown by a sport pilot.
If it is an LSA compliant amateur-built and you finish the project, you still may be able to obtain the repairman certificate. Requirement is that you are a listed builder and you can show that you can competently perform the condition inspection. (The 51% rule does not apply to repairman cert.)
If it is a certified light-sport kit and you can supply the 8130-15, you can get the repairman certificate by completing a 2 day class.
The repairman certificate has no relevance to performing maintenance. It only allows you to perform the condition inspection. Anyone can perform maintenance on an experimental amateur-built or experimental light-sport aircraft.

Last edited:
Mel is right on. Hare's some other thoughts:

What you might consider doing is taking the course BEFORE you apply for the Repairman's Certificate to help the Inspector understand that you have demonstrated a serious focus onlearning to maintain the airplane properly. Most inspectors are all about safety. Plus, You don't need the Repairman's certificate until the 1st year anniversary of the Airworthiness, in order to perform the condition inspection. You can perform all of the maintenance during that first year, make all of the proper maintenance entries, take the course, and then go see an inspector, taking the logbooks with you.
You could even wait until you watch a qualified A&P use the Van's checklist the first year, and then apply for the Certificate. Certainly the most hardened Inspector should be impressed.

Vic

Thanks a lot you guys. I figured getting a qualified builder to look at it before I wasted 10 hours of driving to go up there. I'm going to Oshkosh for a couple of days.

Thanks Vic. I'll do some research. Just thought it would save me a ton of time.

I just had an interesting thought: How does a prospective buyer of a RV-12 project establish, for sure, that it is being built as an ELSA, as opposed to EAB?

I have an interest in this, in that I'm more than likely going to be selling my RV-12 project, which I'm building as an ELSA.

Jim

I just had an interesting thought: How does a prospective buyer of a RV-12 project establish, for sure, that it is being built as an ELSA, as opposed to EAB?
I have an interest in this, in that I'm more than likely going to be selling my RV-12 project, which I'm building as an ELSA.
Jim

About the only way to determine this is to go through the plans with the builder and have him/her show that it is built to the plans with no modifications.

I'm located near by in the Huntsville Alabama area, built my 12 and recently did a pre-buy for a 12 for a friend. We got it about ready to fly with really no unexpected issues. Only cost for me is for meals and hotel if over night. Email if you want another set of eyes but only if it is for finishing it as a stock E-LSA 12 with no alternative engines.

By the way the engine and FWF package and Avionics packages are most of the airplane cost but if everything else is done they can be completed in just a few weekends. What will take time is cutting and fitting the cowling, spinner, wheel pants and then prepping them and the rest of the plane for paint. Hopefully the canopy is done with all fiberglass work completed. I think the fiberglass work is the most time consuming and least enjoyable part of building any RV including the 12.

Last edited:
About the only way to determine this is to go through the plans with the builder and have him/her show that it is built to the plans with no modifications.

Thanks Mel. That's pretty much what I thought and would be a pretty important step for anyone wanting to buy a RV-12 project and finish it as an ELSA.

Jim

Chris,

My first project was a WAR half size FW-190 that was a wood structure with fiberglass over it. In those days (early 90?s) the epoxy resin was horrible. I acquired the epoxy allergy about half way through my project, but fortunately finished it. When I found I needed to do more fiberglass for the RV12 I was not happy, but the new polyester epoxies are much more benign although I would never tackle it without an activated charcoal respirator filter.

Rich

I understand that buying someone else's project this far along will null my ability for a repairmans cert. But This guy claims all the plane needs is engine and radios. It's about 5 hours one way but the time savings of where the project is would make it worth it.

Any tips, concerns would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Take someone who knows aircraft very well to inspect it. I bought sight unseen an RV3 that was almost ready to fly. A friend, I guess, an aircraft owner and should have known easily what was good or bad talked me into it and had looked at it. I got to Ft Collins airport at dawn, got into the hangar, didn't even need much light to see I had just bought a pile of ****. Oh yes my check had been cashed too. Watch out buying any project have it inspected very well. Boyd in Chiloquin OR.

Back