What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to get Hartzell prop paint ?

petersb

Well Known Member
Need to TouchUp Hartzell CS prop.

I likeTemp Hartzell prop paint, however it is grey, my prop is a light silver.

Any thoughts

Flat Black

I have only touched up the Flat Black with purchased spray paint from VAF advertiser Aircraft Spruce. They list 3 different colors. I do know of one friend that did gray and white touch up on a Hartzell years ago and I was not able to tell that there was any change in color.

Well, I have dressed a few nicks in my Hartzell blended airfoil prop I purchased new 3 years ago. I bought the Tempo A-151 Med Gray Epoxy Coating, P/N 09-00983 from ACS and it definitely does not match my original silver! Has anyone found the right product that will match?

Safety wire?

Cant for the life of me find POST NEW THREAD button so tagged on to this Hartzell thread with REPLY.
what are the tricks to putting safety wire thru the 6 large bolts with the roll pins?
Thanx
Keith

Cant for the life of me find POST NEW THREAD button so tagged on to this Hartzell thread with REPLY.
what are the tricks to putting safety wire thru the 6 large bolts with the roll pins?
Thanx
Keith

At the very bottom of the page is a 'Forum jump' page. Select one e.g., PROPS. Now at the top of the new (PROPS) page is a 'new post' button.

I don't recall any tricks to safety wiring the prop bolts other than a lot of cussing.

Thanx for New Thread directions Bob. I had not used that before.
For the next guy > smooth both ends of the safety wire on a 3M wheel.
Put wire thru pin and push the point after it goes thru with a screw driver.
Grab end with needle nose pliers and pull it to start direction.
Push in 1/8" increments while gently pulling from other side.
Verify correct direction - I also used a few unprintables.
Got it done in about an hour. Shorter next time.

Glad this thread resurfaced.

What is the RAL code or BS code for Hartzell Gray.

Need to get some mixed.

Not looking for product, just the code to mix the paint as I want to use it as an interior color.

Thanx
Keith

As said by others a real PITA but many of us will torque the bolts then if needed loosen the bolts one at a time to put wire through then retorque the bolt then onto the next one. Hard to explain but a lot of patience is required. :)

A lot of people are in Oshkosh now. I hope to get there Thursday. Reason for my post though is I was touching up my prop with Tempo propeller paint from ACS. The flat black went on nice but the white was horrible - splatter & blobs from the spray bomb. Seems to me I ran across a similar post some time ago using these. What I thought of doing was spraying out the can into a container and using it in my regular or touch up gun. Anybody ever tried this? Another alternative would be to go to my local auto paint guy and get something close, but using what I've got would be cheaper and easier.

I sprayed the contents of the Tempo white spray bomb into a jar, mixed it, strained it, and put it thru my touch up gun - went on the prop perfectly.

Update on Posts 11 & 12

The gray Tempo A151 didn't match the gray on the rest of the prop and the white Tempo A152 I used on the tips pretty much came off on the way to Oskhosh. I emailed ACS about the difficulty I had with the white spray bomb but never got a response. Also emailed Hartzell today - they replied they use Sherwin-Williams Polane-T (a polyurethane enamel). I think I'll try the Sherwin-Williams Acry Glo (acrylic urethane) I used on the rest of the plane - can't be any worse than the Tempo.

Back