What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cracks in belly skin

Kjkbcaptain

I'm New Here
I have an 8 with about 100 hours on it and it has developed cracks in the skin just aft of the lower cowl air exit, directly above where the exhaust pipes exit. Anyone else see this problem of have suggestions. Thanks.

Not an uncommon problem in the RV8. Most theorize the exhaust pulse fatigues the skin on the exhaust ramp. Vetterman exhaust sells downward facing exhaust pipe tips. There are several solutions for repair. You may want to search archives or call me and I'll tell you what I did. Eight three two 7 two two zero 11 two

Last edited:
I have an 8 with about 100 hours on it and it has developed cracks in the skin just aft of the lower cowl air exit, directly above where the exhaust pipes exit. Anyone else see this problem of have suggestions. Thanks.

Cracks are at the aft-most rivet in the floor ribs?

You could try injecting a metal-safe silicone in between the belly skin and cockpit floor. I drilled a few 3/16 holes in the floor panel, squared the end of the nozzle on the sealant tube, pressed it against the floor and pumped in two or three shots of Firebarrier 2000. Pushing 700 hours now, no cracks.

Back