What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jack Plug Wiring

mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
We are doing the last of the electrics and have just got ourselves a bit stumped.

We have pigtails coming down to the headset and mic jacks in shielded cable - we are using the Approach Systems Hub which has worked really well.

Jacks are Switchcraft from Aircraft Spruce but we now find that they don't include the insulating washers for the mic jacks - useless lot !

Also, we have no wiring diagram for the stereo headset jack or for the mic jack.

The leads from the GMA-340 are labelled

Pilot phones L, R and LO.

Pilot Mic HI, LO, KEY

We have a seperate pigtail for the ptt on each stick.

Any suggestions welcome please :D

We are doing the last of the electrics and have just got ourselves a bit stumped.

We have pigtails coming down to the headset and mic jacks in shielded cable - we are using the Approach Systems Hub which has worked really well.

Jacks are Switchcraft from Aircraft Spruce but we now find that they don't include the insulating washers for the mic jacks - useless lot !

Also, we have no wiring diagram for the stereo headset jack or for the mic jack.

The leads from the GMA-340 are labelled

Pilot phones L, R and LO.

Pilot Mic HI, LO, KEY

We have a seperate pigtail for the ptt on each stick.

Any suggestions welcome please :D

here's what i think is correct (may have left & right swapped):

pilot phones R -- tip of headphone jack
pilot phones L -- middle ring of headphone jack
pilot phones LO -- outer ring of headphone jack

pilot mic Key -- tip of mic jack
pilot mic HI -- middle ring of mic jack
pilot mic LO -- outer ring of mic jack

stein sells the insulating washers cheap -- iirc, it's about 80 cents per connector.

Thanks John,

Just got a very fast reply from Approach Systems with a diagram etc. Their system has been excellent, the customer back up great and - as of today - it works because we put power on the airplane for the first time !

I don't have any US trips through the winter, Indonesia beckons on Monday so I will source some of the washers in the UK.

Thanks

washers

I don't know about Stein's washers, but the ones I ordered from ACS aren't extruded. In other words, they don't insulate the hole in the airframe from the jack itself. I ended up ordering the extruded washers from B&C, which arrived today.

good mic jack pic

headsetjacksra0af0.png

Nice photo Rick,

Switchraft are sending me some washers direct - excellent company to deal with by the way.

Back