What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Front Seat

mv031161

Well Known Member
looking for options. Im 6"2' 230#'s and built just big. I feel to close to the instrument panel and already banged my forehead w the front windshield frame a few times while trying to slide into the aircraft.

Anyone w same issues? I see as the only solution to move the roll bar seat frame back and add a few more degrees of inclination. Your pictures will help

I saw an F1 Rocket w a race car seat bucket and it looked good. I wish I asked to try that configuration.

Hi Mitch,
I'm not yet flying ...... hope to later this year. I too am 6'2" tall and have modified my Rocket extensively. My Roll Bar and Seat Back are moved aft - don't remember exactly how far. I moved the front stick aft about 4" - 5" and the instrument panel aft about 2". Bottom line is that I sit comfortably reclined with a back-pack parachute with my legs only slightly bent. I made the seat bottom. Luckily my wife is a little short.

So the bottom line is that there is plenty of room for us taller guys to stretch out in a Rocket.

I'd be happy to post pics but I looked at doing so to this site and there was something about opening an account at some pic posting site or something .... and I quit.

Please measure the distance from the front of the aft stick to the seat back when you have the elevator full nose down (to the stop) and report.

Option #1) If you move the seat back aft, you might ( will likely) need to remove the aft stick.

I have long arms and I am over 6ft. I can just barely touch the panel with my fingers when the shoulder harness is snug. More panel space distance than you will find in any other RV. Try a 4 or 6 if you want panel in the face claustrophobia. Only an extra or MX from the back seat would be more spacious than an F1.

Option #1.5)How thick is the seat bottom foam? there might be some wiggle room to be gained by a thinner seat bottom with the right closed cell foam or other material.

Option#2) FWIW, I just ditched 35 Lbs from the pilot seat. It does not change the canopy bow space, but otherwise a great improvement. Won't go back to the old W&B any time soon.

Option#3) Buy a Harvard.

Last edited:
Love to see some pictures

Love to see some pictures. Please send to my email. Mv031161 at gmail dot com.
Hi Mitch,
I'm not yet flying ...... hope to later this year. I too am 6'2" tall and have modified my Rocket extensively. My Roll Bar and Seat Back are moved aft - don't remember exactly how far. I moved the front stick aft about 4" - 5" and the instrument panel aft about 2". Bottom line is that I sit comfortably reclined with a back-pack parachute with my legs only slightly bent. I made the seat bottom. Luckily my wife is a little short.

So the bottom line is that there is plenty of room for us taller guys to stretch out in a Rocket.

I'd be happy to post pics but I looked at doing so to this site and there was something about opening an account at some pic posting site or something .... and I quit.

Im picking up my new rocket custom made seat parachute at Sun and fun...yes the sear cushion is too thick and so it is the back. Let me try this first

Please measure the distance from the front of the aft stick to the seat back when you have the elevator full nose down (to the stop) and report.

Option #1) If you move the seat back aft, you might ( will likely) need to remove the aft stick.

I have long arms and I am over 6ft. I can just barely touch the panel with my fingers when the shoulder harness is snug. More panel space distance than you will find in any other RV. Try a 4 or 6 if you want panel in the face claustrophobia. Only an extra or MX from the back seat would be more spacious than an F1.

Option #1.5)How thick is the seat bottom foam? there might be some wiggle room to be gained by a thinner seat bottom with the right closed cell foam or other material.

Option#2) FWIW, I just ditched 35 Lbs from the pilot seat. It does not change the canopy bow space, but otherwise a great improvement. Won't go back to the old W&B any time soon.

Option#3) Buy a Harvard.

Like this

I don?t have a rocket but I?m very interested in how you removed 35lbs from the front seat. I want to lower the empty weight of my RV-8.

Like this:

https://youtu.be/s3F6R92s6_o?t=618

Actually, I tried weight training after a 9 year hiatus away from the gym, but my weight shot up 10 lbs the first week:eek:

So then I decided to try 500 cal- 1200 cal per day total intake , plus the weights plus 2 aerobic sessions as in the video per week. I ate really well, just not that much. tenderloin steak and salmon every night- and green peas. Bran flakes and an orange for breakfast. Some days a boiled egg and an orange for lunch.

It only took 29 days. Back under 200. Only 15 more to go.

Good Luck!

looking for options. Im 6"2' 230#'s and built just big. I feel to close to the instrument panel and already banged my forehead w the front windshield frame a few times while trying to slide into the aircraft.

Anyone w same issues? I see as the only solution to move the roll bar seat frame back and add a few more degrees of inclination. Your pictures will help

I saw an F1 Rocket w a race car seat bucket and it looked good. I wish I asked to try that configuration.

I recently bought the rocket with race seats and it is the first thing I am changing. They are ok for an hour but anything longer and they are very uncomfortable.

Back