What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

true operating cost and mogas?

argoldst

I'm New Here
NVM the mogas thing (searched enough and got my answers).

Also, take away fixed costs, what is the real cost/hour for the rv-10. Please include fuel, oil, prop and engine allowance, and any extras (repairs, tires, avionics upgrades, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
And the cost of capital, or a loan if you have one.

I have done a very detailed costing, several times, including the cost of all the minor things, like landing fees, Jepp data, instrument renewals (check flights), and with a plane doing 200 hrs a year, in Australian Dollars, it is about $225/hr.

In the USA that is USD$168.

Now I will concede that some costs are just naturally higher here, such as fuel and just the Australia tax :mad:

So even if you factor that in it will not truly be less than say USD$150/hr, but i am sure someone has data that proves way less for spousal purposes ;)

Ohhh, and the VANS pricing calculator is not to be trusted. I am yet to see one anything like it, unless they cut corners somewhere.

YMMV.....a lot!

NVM the mogas thing (searched enough and got my answers).

Also, take away fixed costs, what is the real cost/hour for the rv-10. Please include fuel, oil, prop and engine allowance, and any extras (repairs, tires, avionics upgrades, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

Everyone's fixed and variable operating costs are going to be different based upon the variables (local fuel cost, engine and prop reserve set asides, etc.) My hourly fuel and oil costs based upon how and where I typically fly and my routine maintenance schedule average right at $81/hr. Add in my reserve maintenance numbers plus a few bucks for misc items and I'm at $101/hr.

Add in my fixed costs (hangar, insurance, loan, databases, etc) and I'm at $196/hr flying 200 hrs per year.

No mater how you slice it, owning and operating a high performance X/C cruiser is not cheap.

Last edited:
Back