What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glare Shield Advice

Flat or satin paint from the spray-bomb shelf at Home Depot works well. Use the edge treatment from Cleaveland (or equivalent) and you're good to go.

I used bed liner spray in a can that you get from the local auto parts store. Sprayed on 3 coats, then topped it with flat black spray paint. Makes a nice durable texture. Did the same on the interior side panels, using the color selected for our interior.

Yep!

Like Kyle said, glare shield edge trim

R4epIfM7pJYUT5MVLfs5GebnwUtueXQv4fURBHrnkVYH6egBpM3oT5wQHMoeEmUSofWPiZWm--Ih_RVX9AJUhLhbntL9iYNtNjX5asLdE0Ib1BsUWKX4LDio0cyzMZPm-UOrYs-H7xzcxvfK8LjBUO5uuv_KvVFKryoRBoEecsQV5en7x94HVvn4vHiMkdd0EqUu4plS78WHC0SmU2zKcctTvR61ACtp0OQCjnTkqnlzYtmV24_P8LFZTi0ZdioEKiQ8XxPJvCafjtCCjl0nluf9m0OQpLgpirrE4E1O_8q1knHLnj5BQlMnNG_cm9pGYO8LcDle_3JmRjjQx6FVF9L2huB0WoVQ12mFtjaOPLo-BYPCESacfzO46wTNqPvhyE2JNS-3GjtoKw0PBhoEIqltr1Unvh6VsOzHBMqO5ClDtARJQ1dpDVFMGahPE58ZZnFeu4oYLtI9KeTW4y4nhFdKQUKGETJuixk6TCJJp9mCGrYglMP9yRwNh0f0SfgB74MYODB_xerstYX7BBI2gNqXzUJQyee0c-9NwuRwDhCAEVRIEeL07w7V8FALHPXVZgv-sCnuKSBwwd_EDpzPKWHtEani_9KQebVg5-YVe3y8h2E_YEMR1bN_pxpNXM8njlBu64LGIXF4lnBibofBqdSvSw-R7oMbrFL0dZDEBt8BWAfpmAqcz1Yq-AQl56Uyxlf5bRYSu-MmiSs303g=w421-h316-no

Last edited:
Glareshield

I used the fuzzy side of velcro. You can buy it by the yard. And I can stick stuff to it if I want. I used the velcro for my AOA display, so I can move it from one side of the center post to the other if I want to fly right seat.

Randy,

I have used that type of glareshield on another aircraft. It is very nice. They custom build it to your design. It's soft and pliable, doesn't scratch the windshield when removed or replaced. I don't recall the price but it seemed quite fair. I've had mine for over 10 years, no complaints.

George

Looking at glare shield options. Found this one from Aircraft Door Seals. Looks nice.

https://www.aircraftdoorseals.com/product/rv-experimental/vans-rv-10-glare-shield/

Just as a follow up, I ordered and received this glare shield today from vendor listed above. I am VERY impressed. I do have to cut holes for fans, but looks pretty straight forward on how to do that. Looks very well made and I love the thickness and softness of the aft end of it! It also has a ridge on underside that will hide LED glare shield light strip very well. Not installed yet, but glad I chose this one.

Looks very nice. How do you accommodate defrost fans? Do you have to cut your own holes?

I did. Wasn't hard since I already had the holes in the aluminium. I just used a box knife to cut slits to pull the material inward. From there I was able to cut the extra material and foam and squeezed it all in between the fans and the fan covers.

Back