What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fitting the wings...fuel tanks on or off?

Peter Costick

Well Known Member
Just looking for views.....

I am about to attach the wings for the last time (I hope). Currently the tanks are off of the wing and I am wondering if its best to fit the wings and then the tanks.... or the other way round.

thanks

I did it with tanks on and all is well. There's probably someone that did it with tanks off and they'll tell u it came out fine too. But I'll leave that for them. Seems more intuitive to have the tanks on for the final assembly. but I don't see/know the circumstances u are dealing with.

Also fitted mine with tanks on but not all the screws installed. If I recall, you need to fit the fwd tank bracket as part of the process.

I installed the wings first, then added the tanks. The advantages were less wing weight to handle, and being able to hold the inboard wing right at the spar (almost CG of the wing). Installing the tanks later was no problem.

Bevan.

You are going to need to finish the front attachment point which requires to have the tank on so it does not make sense (to me) not to do it with the tank on. While you are at it, you may want to finish the gear leg fairing (if it is a 7A) so you are done with this portion of the project.

My 2 cents only

I did mine with the tanks on but in hindsight if the tanks are already off leave them off. This allows you to stand right by the spar and guide it in. The tanks can then be installed and fit the forward bracket. The wings are not overly heavy, just bulky.

Back