What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PPG Paint Mixing Cup

Rolly9

I have yet to figure out the PPG Mixing Cup. So I have been using the Soup Ladle method. I am using PPG DCC Paint: 4:2:1; paint, reducer, & hardener.
Does anyone know how to read the cup and explain it easily. THx.

I have yet to figure out the PPG Mixing Cup. So I have been using the Soup Ladle method. I am using PPG DCC Paint: 4:2:1; paint, reducer, & hardener.
Does anyone know how to read the cup and explain it easily.

Yep, that thing can be baffling until you crack the code! :)

Go the section of the cup marked 4:2:1. Estimate how much total paint you want to mix (you can use the ounces scale on the side of the cup). To use the cup select one of the quantities under the 4:2:1 section, for example 3. Pour paint into the cup until it comes up to the 3 mark in the "4:" column. Now pour reducer into the cup until you reach the "3" under the ":2" column. Now add hardener until the total volume reaches the "3" under the ":1" column.

In other words, use the same "number" as you add each component. Studying the cup will reveal how the ":2" column is only adding 50% more volume, and the ":1" is adding.........I don't know.......but it works. :D

I usually ignore most of what is printed on the cup. All you really need is the once scale. 4:2:1 would be 4 onces: 2 onces: 1 once or any multiple there of. If that is too much paint then cut in half. 2:1:0.5

KMT is correct

Give up on the cup. Measure by weight and you can mix very small quantities. I have an old Ohaus triple beam scale left over from my free flight model airplane days that I use for paint mixing. I use a shot glass that my father the dentist gave me. A cheap gram scale can be purchased from a big box office supply store; Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc. Measure by weight and you can mix any quantity. It took me a few years to give up on the PPG cups and go by weight instead. Way less waisted paint. That stuff is expensive!!!! "Use the force Luke"

Brian V. - RV4 finishing

Actually I measure by the liquid once. If that doesn't work then there is always the "That's about right" method. :D

Thx all. I got it now. All I need to do is to figure out how to use this #%@* HVLP gun!
Rolly

Back