VAF Forums

VAF Forums (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php)
-   RV-12/RV-12iS (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Rotax maintenance costs (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=171029)

sblack 04-28-2019 01:43 PM

Rotax maintenance costs

Friends with a 912 powered airplane were charged 40 hrs to have fuel and oil rubber hoses replaced buy a local rotax dealer. That seems outrageous to me, but I am not a rotax guy. Is this out of line?

Cammie Patch 04-28-2019 04:43 PM

Depends.
My first big job as an LSRM was a rubber hose change on a CTSW. It took me five weeks! It was also an annual IIRC, and I wanted it to be perfect. I would spend all morning studying, then work on the plane in the afternoon. The engine had to be removed to get to the hoses.

Now I could probably do one in 4-5 days. I'm not fast, but I like to take my time and do it right. I probably would have a very small customer base if I did much work for the flying public.

But really, they are not required (the hose changes). I would recommend changing them on condition only. But, but sure to get a good look at them. I've seen quite a few fuel lines that are leaking, but leave no trace outside of the fire sleeve.

sblack 04-28-2019 05:06 PM

In this case the engine was removed and brought to the shop by the owner.

LSRM? CTSW? :confused:

sf3543 04-28-2019 05:44 PM

I just did the complete rubber replacement on my 912 including changing the oil and fuel lines and components.
Changing the coolant lines and refilling coolant took most of an eight hour day.
Changing the oil lines and purging the system, including verifying the lifters were charged, took a little less time to do.
Add about 3 or so hours for disassembly and reassembly, since removing the muffler and exhaust is necessary to make it easier.
For those two tasks, Id say 40 hours is excessive.
In my opinion.

AirHound 04-28-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sf3543 (Post 1342890)
I just did the complete rubber replacement on my 912 including changing the oil and fuel lines and components.
Changing the coolant lines and refilling coolant took most of an eight hour day.
Changing the oil lines and purging the system, including verifying the lifters were charged, took a little less time to do.
Add about 3 or so hours for disassembly and reassembly, since removing the muffler and exhaust is necessary to make it easier.
In my opinion.

Did you go with Aircraft Specialty Teflon kits?

sf3543 04-28-2019 06:34 PM

Yes
It was a perfect fit from them and their service on ordering was very good.
I would highly recommend them.

AirHound 04-28-2019 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sf3543 (Post 1342906)
Yes
It was a perfect fit from them and their service on ordering was very good.
I would highly recommend them.

I gotem 2 and other than water hoses no more gas or oil hose changes, yippee.
Also bought their oil pressure gage relocation hose kit. Mounted it on top of top radiator hose back near the firewall, rock solid indications, recommend it!

DaleB 04-29-2019 10:56 AM

40 hours sounds like about what it would take someone who had never done it before, and lacked the tools needed, to do it on an engine still in the airplane. I cant imagine a qualified Rotax maintenance shop taking anywhere near that long. But that's just me.

PilotBrent 04-29-2019 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sf3543 (Post 1342890)
In my opinion.

Similar experience. One full day for the coolant hoses, fuel lines about half that. I'm slow and careful...mostly slow. 40 hours does seem very excessive.

sblack 04-29-2019 06:31 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys.