What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Touch With NAV Option

That's really interesting from the image that option looks like the integration of a GTN 6xx which would allow you to execute GPS precision IFR apppraches and by the look of that panel replace the radio with the GTN so it would be either a GTn635 or a 650 the 650 allowing you to bring in VOR as well.

That is awesome, what a fantastic option for IFR training

Instrument Ticket in 12iS?

what a fantastic option for IFR training

The apparent inclusion of the GTN option and most of the other improvements indicate Vans broadening the 12iS's appeal to commercial flight schools (and for good reason with a new 172 costing $500k these days).

With the Rotax (912ULS at least) restricted to day VFR, is the 12iS really an option for flight schools or prospective builders who want to use it for an instrument ticket?

In other words, can I build a 12iS and get my instrument ticket in it (including checkride) despite the limitations placed on the Rotax? If so, how?

With the Rotax (912ULS at least) restricted to day VFR, is the 12iS really an option for flight schools or prospective builders who want to use it for an instrument ticket?

In other words, can I build a 12iS and get my instrument ticket in it (including checkride) despite the limitations placed on the Rotax? If so, how?
Not sure where you are getting the idea that an engine (the Rotax 912ULS) is limited by regulations to only be flown in day VFR conditions. A Light Sport Pilot flying such an engine in a Light Sport certified aircraft will be restricted from flying IFR but the actual plane itself is not. If the airplane has the appropriate equipment to legally fly IFR, a private pilot with appropriate credentials can use it to fly IFR.

So the answer to your question is: Yes you can.

How can a flight school use an RV-12 for training. You can't use experimental for commercial ops, correct?

-Dan

How can a flight school use an RV-12 for training. You can't use experimental for commercial ops, correct?

-Dan
Vans sells the RV-12 as an S-LSA in addition to selling them as an E-LSA. The S-LSA is factory built. Try this website for info on the factory built 12:
http://flyrv12.com/

Guess which one can be used for training!

view

This is where I'm getting hung up. Page 1-5 of Rotax 912 operating manual.

view

Well, don't get hung up on that statement. The important part of that statement is: "Unless correctly equipped to provide electrical power for night VFR. . ." That would not be an issue to make sure you build it to be "correctly equipped".

Live Long and Prosper!

Why Certified Engines?

I'm confused. Do you not have to have a certified engine and certified IFR equipment to fly IFR? If not, what is the need for a certified engine?

A lot of EAB aircraft fly IFR without certified engine/prop combinations. If you have a type certified aircraft you need an certified engine permitted by the type certificate or STC.

view

The phrase on that page isn't in the Rotax 912 Operators Manual any more -- not, at least, in the copy I just downloaded from the Rotax website.

The problem with flying an LSA in IMC seems to be in the ATSM.

Last edited:
Pricing on th -12 iS S-LSA is still being worked out, that?s per the factory. It?s been postponed since October. The G3X Touch with Nav, is being put forth to make the -12 acceptable to flight schools IFR training.

Intent

Maybe the intent is not for ifr training, but for private pilot training? Maybe this will be needed for the part of the private pilot learns the rudimetry instrument flying stuff?

Back