What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

starter problems

Jake14

Well Known Member
Getting ready for first engine run, sprayed LPS-1 into the cylinders, left the plugs out, turned the prop by hand a couple of revs and hit the starter. Loud slam, airplane jumped a bit, the prop turned maybe a degree or two and that's it. Tried it a couple more times with same result except that once the prop turned about half a turn. Checked all teeth in the starter and ring gear, no apparent damage. Checked all wiring and connections, all per the manual.

Anybody have a similar experience? The effect is quite loud and startling, I'm hoping nothing got damaged.

Last edited:
Starter problem

I had a starter failure on my new IO-390 fresh from Vans.
After going through two starters, both with bad solenoids I finally got Skytec to admit that they had a batch of bad starter solenoids. Another local 14 owner just went through the same exact problem.Third times the charm for me, I've got a good one now.....
Apparently Skytec was sold and changed factory locations the end of 2016
A batch of starters delivered prior to that seem to have the problem solenoids.
RV-14A 140015
50 hrs

starter problem solved

Pics below show the problem. The nut is identical to the ones used to mount the starter, so I guess the most plausible conclusion is that whoever was mounting the starter dropped one of the nuts into the gear housing.

2mez805.jpg

Standard practice among aviation maint. professionals......
If you ever drop/lose a piece of hardware you keep looking until you find it.
Period.
Regardless what effort it takes.
There is no way to know what bad things could happen in the future with a loose piece of hardware when you add flight dynamics to the mix (neg. G's, etc.).
Everything from an electrical short to jammed flight controls (and starter motors).

Did the starter come mounted on the engine from Lycoming? Ignorant here. :confused:

If it was a new engine from Lyc. it would have. From other suppliers it depends.
I should have clarified my original comment by saying I wasn't meaning to imply that the starter wasn't installed by a professional... just that if it was (at least someone that is one by title), then they really screwed up.
Having said that, there are other items that use that size nut, that are not on an engine when delivered. The nuts that mount the prop gov. are one example (which on RV-14 engines are above and slightly aft of the starter motor).

Last edited:
I had a starter failure on my new IO-390 fresh from Vans.
After going through two starters, both with bad solenoids I finally got Skytec to admit that they had a batch of bad starter solenoids. Another local 14 owner just went through the same exact problem.Third times the charm for me, I've got a good one now.....
Apparently Skytec was sold and changed factory locations the end of 2016
A batch of starters delivered prior to that seem to have the problem solenoids.
RV-14A 140015
50 hrs

Cue heavy background music.

Solenoid Issue or Inadequate Batterry?

Since new I have noticed when engaging the starter it commences very slowly and seems to have a problem getting the engine through the first compression stroke, then it swings easily. I just thought that's how life is - it always starts.

However this week I was visiting friends in colder climate. In the morning it was 45 degrees (f) and the starter motor couldn't get the motor through the first compression stroke. I engaged the back up battery and got the engine started. The battery is Vans supplied and 10 months old it should be OK. Is this a solenoid issue?

Alan

Definitely sounds like my Cessna experience with a weak battery. I even replaced the starter solenoid to no avail. Mine also was weak for the first rev and then ok, but when I replaced the batter it spun fast right away. I suppose it could also be a good battery with a weak connection somewhere...maybe try jumping from your car battery and see..

Check ground strap?

Definitely sounds like my Cessna experience with a weak battery. I even replaced the starter solenoid to no avail. Mine also was weak for the first rev and then ok, but when I replaced the batter it spun fast right away. I suppose it could also be a good battery with a weak connection somewhere...maybe try jumping from your car battery and see..

Any chance the ground strap is not 100% clean and tight? Inadequate ground path will certainly make for a weaker start. (Ask me how I know?)

Back