What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Older RV-10 QB kits - any changes

az_gila

Well Known Member
RV-10 guys,

I have a friend looking at a partly finished RV-10 kit for sale.

The kit is good and seems fairly priced but he asked a question about any QB kit changes over the years.

I have no knowledge on the 4 seater development and changes, so can anyone tell me if there have been any major changes over the last decade or so to the RV-10 QB kits?

Anything special to look for, other than construction quality?

Everything fiberglass (wing tips, cabin top, cowling) seems to have been improved.
Fuel valve placement: valve was lowered, extension to handle added, improved handle, better fuel line routing. All about March 2008

Also check the Van's web site to ensure that any S.B.'s have been incorporated, or be willing to do it yourself. I had to do one a kit that I bought 3 years ago.

Everything fiberglass (wing tips, cabin top, cowling) seems to have been improved.
Fuel valve placement: valve was lowered, extension to handle added, improved handle, better fuel line routing. All about March 2008

The builder (an A&P) who has it for sale mentioned he had modified the circuitous routing of those lines by adding a union...:)

The main improvements have been the Service Bulletin items that have been included in the original builds, the gell coated cowl and the RV-14 ailerons. The cabin top and doors have not been I proved.

The SB's that affect you would most likely just be the doubler on the top of the Vertical Stab and the doubler on the tailcone bulkhead where the Horizontal Stab front spar bolts.

The SB's that affect you would most likely just be the doubler on the top of the Vertical Stab and the doubler on the tailcone bulkhead where the Horizontal Stab front spar bolts.

And possibly the one adding the doubler to the engine mount if the purchase included a finish kit.

There was a motor mount change around 2007 to provide more clearance with some of the IO540 oil sumps. See Service Letter Jan 15, 2007.

But, the bottom line is that build quality is far more important than the age of the kit.

I am looking to buy an RV7A or 6A. I frequently notice mention of the quality of the build and that makes sense. Never having built an airplane but having been a pilot for over 40 years with thousands of hours flying certified types how does a neophyte like myself determine if the airplane i am looking at is a good build or not? I of course plan on having a pre buy done by a very knowledgeable RV builder qualified to do a quality pre buy. But in the interim how do i decide what is a good build or not? What should I be looking for or at before I pull the plug, make an offer and employ someone to do the prebuy?

And possibly the one adding the doubler to the engine mount if the purchase included a finish kit.

There are a number of SB's, but the two I mentioned are the two that are hard to add after that area is closed up. The engine mount plate is easy to add with a plane that is already flying.

An Update

An update.

It ended up my friend didn't really want to become a builder, and the project was a really good deal... so I am now the owner of a partially completed RV-10 QB kit and IO-540 engine. The project was only about 70 miles away and I picked up the airframe pieces yesterday.

The only trouble is the boss says I can't have 4 airplanes so the Tiger and a Mini-Nimbus sailplane will be sold soon. :)

And a thanks to Scott Schmidt who visited on a visit to Tucson when his RV-10 was just completed - my wife remembered the plane and liked it. This made the purchase much easier.

An update.

It ended up my friend didn't really want to become a builder, and the project was a really good deal... so I am now the owner of a partially completed RV-10 QB kit and IO-540 engine. The project was only about 70 miles away and I picked up the airframe pieces yesterday.

The only trouble is the boss says I can't have 4 airplanes so the Tiger and a Mini-Nimbus sailplane will be sold soon. :)

And a thanks to Scott Schmidt who visited on a visit to Tucson when his RV-10 was just completed - my wife remembered the plane and liked it. This made the purchase much easier.

Welcome to the club!

Now put the Sunday night before Airventure on your calendar. It is the RV-10 dinner at Camp Scholler.

Gil's in the club.

Ooh, this gonna get good!:D

Looking forward to your input and output as you tackle the build, Gil.

Ooh, this gonna get good!:D

Looking forward to your input and output as you tackle the build, Gil.

First look makes it seem much easier that the RV-6A - it has actual step-by-step instructions. :D

I do sort of miss the overall plans though, it's a bit hard to see the interconnect between parts from a top view.

Presently I'm getting to evaluate exactly where the build is - fuselage is mated to tail cone and floor boards seem to be done - and that I have all of the parts. It is a QB so lots has been done already by the factory.

Luckily CopperState is coming up soon and I will be able talk to the vendors to decide what options I want in the panel and interior. Flying in with the Tiger and hanging a "For Sale" sign on it has been suggested. :)

The cabin top and doors are where the work is. There is a lot of trimming and sanding to fit. The rest of the kit is "Tab A - Slot B".

Glass work

The cabin top and doors are where the work is. There is a lot of trimming and sanding to fit. The rest of the kit is "Tab A - Slot B".

Luckily I'm less adverse to glass work that most RV builders. :)

On the -6 the worse glass bit was molding your own intersection fairings for the Sam James wheel pants. This kit has the intersection fairings provided.

Gordon Lightfoot sang of this.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
when the micro turns minutes to hours...
the VAFers all say he'd be flying today
if he'd quit with the filling and sanding...

He could have gave up but he chose to press on
when he could've glued in a head liner...
the pax will not care while they're up in the air
if the finish could look a bit finer.

So do what you want, but I'm stuck in a Groundhog Day re-run where every work session is just more sand-and-fill, sand-and fill. About ready to don a straight jacket and write on the walls with a crayon grasped between my toes.

Luckily I'm less adverse to glass work that most RV builders. :)

You will be.

-Yoda

Seriously, making the big expensive parts fit and work together is a huge undertaking compared to fabricating fairings for the -6. Ultimately, the work gets done, but it seems to take a lifetime...

Back