What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle / mixture cable routing through tower

8 Builder

Please see the attached photo that shows the one inch hole through the rear of the left gear tower in my 1997 RV-8 kit. It was manufactured this way and shows the one hole on the plans. I would like to know how I can increase the size of, or reshape the hole to allow the two control cables to pass through. After looking at various sites that show this, I see many pictures of three holes in the back side of the gear tower that match the holes in the F-864 cable anchor. Did the kit change this in later versions? Worried about structurally harming the tower.

Thanks, Rich

http://i65.tinypic.com/smbtxx.jpg

Last edited:
What does the forward bulkhead look like? Maybe rivet a doubler to the tower and drill that for straight cable passthrus.

One could ask Van's opinion on rivet spacing, doubler thickness, etc.

Hard to tell the alignment from the photo, they might say it is ok to notch it out instead.

Vans said to make the hole a nice, deburred oval. I have seen the riveted on patch and drill new holes technique on various builders sites. What did you old (kit) RV-8 builders do to the manufactured hole in order to make it possible to pass two cables through it?

Last edited:
Back