What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Routing Suggestions: DC to Long Island?

Mountain Time

Hi all -

This looks like the most appropriate forum for this inquiry, so here goes. I am planning a trip back east to see family in late June and early July. I will be flying from Seattle to Warrenton, VA (KHWY) and staying there for several days. I've done that trip before, though it was a few years back, so flight planning is easy enough.

The next leg, though, is Warrenton to Westhampton, Long Island (Gabreski, KFOK) and I am looking for routing advice. I took the DC SFRA test a few years back before my last trip to Warrenton, and have the little certificate. But, my sense is that it may be easiest to divert around the southern end of the SFRA and then go more or less direct to Long Island. Looks like that involves dealing with New York class B to some extent, plus various other airspace issues, but doable enough.

Other option would be stay west of the DC SFRA, head up north from there and come around the northwest portion of the New York class B and thence east and down into Westhampton.

Any advice from those with experience flying this area would be appreciate. I will be flying VFR.

If it were me...I would go HWY MRB FOK. Stay below Washington Dulles Bravo and once clear, climb to 7500. That will keep you on top of Philly and New York, then you could descend into FOK and only have to talk to Islip.

I have not gone into or through the SFRA though people say it isn't that bad but at RV speeds, it isn't worth the hassle IMO, easier to go around. And I would not go east of the SFRA unless you are willing to go all the way to the coast. Too many restricted areas.

On my proposed routing, if weather doesn't permit the climb, I don't think you will have much luck through Philly because of the runway config and the final to Ry 27 but you could TRY going through it. I have had better luck going through New York if I fly something like COL JFK FOK at 5500 or even 3500. This basically keeps you clear of most arrivals and departures and they usually grant the clearance.

Sounds like a nice trip. Be sure to write up a detailed report! :)

Last edited:
routing

If cloud cover precludes a higher altitude, Colts Neck, Sandy Hook, fly towards JFK and descend below 500' before the JFK 10 NM ring, then follow the shoreline to Gabreski. Higher altitude as soon as you clear the 10 mile Bravo ring. Be aware of fog late in the day even in the warm weather.

If first timer, I would suggest avoiding below 500" along LI shore under JFK Bravo. It's bouncy later in the day and seagulls could be a nightmare if you are fast. It's fun and interesting but might become stressful. Plug into ATC system and sail through all Bravos at your comfortable altitude. Our controllers are sharp and very accommodating. Have a nice flight!

John, With Wash, just stay out of that "bad" circle and you should have no problem. Like Vlad says, just pick a good altitude for NYC and talk to ATC. I usually do 7.5 east which puts me over the top. If they're not busy I'll check in with approach for the traffic. Plan down the ocean coast for ISP avoidance. I'm based at FOK with a hanger on the north side if you want to put yours away, I have fit a 4 in there before with no problem with the 4 1/2 planes I have in there now. Email at hubblugg at hotmail com. -Ben

The terrible dreaded SFRA??

What is so scary about the DC SFRA?

You'll file from FLUKY to PALEO, use 2W5 and OTT as waypoints, probably have one frequency change before you exit and fly out over the Bay Bridge..

I'm based inside the SFRA (W00) and it's REALLY no big deal. If a student pilot can do it on his first solo cross country, why are the grown up pilots so afraid?

What is so scary about the DC SFRA?

I'm based inside the SFRA (W00) and it's REALLY no big deal. If a student pilot can do it on his first solo cross country, why are the grown up pilots so afraid?

+1.....well said.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I tend to think that the route through the DC SFRA and then through New York makes the most sense, assuming weather allows me to get up to a logical altitude - won't know that til the day arrives!

I looked at the FLUKY - PALEO routing and it looks easy enough. I normally do not file VFR flight plans but do get flight following when available - and have rarely if ever been turned down - so filing VFR and getting into the system should be easy enough to accomplish. The low level route along Long Island does not appeal (sorry Vlad), I deal with enough seagulls and water out here that low level work in that environment is something I probably would avoid, at least on my first visit to the NY area.

Ben, your offer of hangar space is much appreciated and I will touch base by email as we get closer.

A trip up the New York VFR coradore is worth your time. It is a peice of cake - you just need to study the map inset on the Terminal Air Chart.

Thanks for the link - looks like something worth doing!

Looking at my destination, it appears Mattituck (21N) may be a little more convenient than KFOK, but I don't see any info on AirNav for Mattituck other than the very basics. Anyone have advice on services there? Also, runway condition appeared questionable in at least some areas per AirNav info.

The comments on KFOK indicate expensive ramp and overnight fees at Shelter, with the Malloy FBO looking more reasonable. Would appreciate any feedback on that as well.

Should be back there in just a month - woo hoo!:)

Back