What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin x96 interface question

akarmy

Well Known Member
So I've been flying my 196 for a few years now and still can't figure out how to use the Nearest function to lookup ATC frequencies.

If I go to the page it lists 2 frequencys and then there's a number (1 by default) if you click on it there is 1-9 and each one has different frequencies.

Now for each frequency you get a bearing and range I presume to determine when to use it, but is that telling me my position, or what?

End goal is to be able to easily use the 196 to pickup flight following with center etc in flight.

Thoughts?

What you're seeing are the ARTCC "Points of Communication" - their transmitters/receivers. Use the closest one (1 on the drop down list) to contact them. The bearing is their bearing from you. i.e. Bearing 090 means the station is east of you.

Here's a map some guy with too much time on his hands made of the ZFW sites.

fwartcc.gif

FMI: Pg 19 here: http://www.garmin.com/manuals/GPSMAP196_PilotsGuide.pdf

If you want flight following not in Center's airspace, you can use the NRST and then choose Airport instead.

Or you can use the cursor to put your pointer inside the nearest airspace. The airspace borders will turn dark gray. Click enter. You'll have a screen and on the top it will say what class of airspace it is. The 2nd line down is "Controlling Agency." The default button is "OK." Click left once to highlight Frequencies. Press up once and that will put you in the frequency list for the controlling airport. If there is more than one (mine has 125.00 and 127.20), they will have a * beside them which means "usage restrictions." Click Enter on the frequency and it will give you the sector in which to use that frequency or other restrictions.

Clear as mud?

Last edited:
Brian130 said:
If you want flight following not in Center's airspace, you can use the NRST and then choose Airport instead.

Or you can use the cursor to put your pointer inside the nearest airspace. The airspace borders will turn dark gray. Click enter. You'll have a screen and on the top it will say what class of airspace it is. The 2nd line down is "Controlling Agency." The default button is "OK." Click left once to highlight Frequencies. Press up once and that will put you in the frequency list for the controlling airport. If there is more than one (mine has 125.00 and 127.20), they will have a * beside them which means "usage restrictions." Click Enter on the frequency and it will give you the sector in which to use that frequency or other restrictions.

Clear as mud?
Wow! I think these things must have been designed by a bunch of computer programmers! :p

Back