What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Insurance Requirements

fishbone

I was reading a thread in the RV-10 section where it was indicated that the typical minimum experience requirement to even get insurance coverage is 300 hrs, high performance endorsement, and an instrument rating.

Any educated guesses out there on what the reqs will be for the 14? Obviously there are 2 fewer seats but the published performance numbers are ball park.

Not sure where you hear these requirements. But I do have a friend who built his -10 and was a 100 ish PPL / no other endorsements... He had no issues getting insurance... I would expect to see insurance rates on the 14 to be elevated a bit due to being an unproven design.

Tony,

What you stated isn't the typical minimums for the RV-10. It is stereotypical of where the "sweet spot" is to get affordable rates. I know many RV-10 flyers that don't have 300 hours or an IFR rating, although they are paying higher rates than others.

I doubt that you are going to find any underwriters providing quotes for awhile, since only the factory demonstrator is flying.

My expectations is that it will be more in line with the other two seaters. Although it may be more expensive for hull insurance depending on the value you place on it. Unlike the RV-10, you are only carrying two people which cuts down the liability and risk in half. I suspect the tail wheel version will cost more to insure that the nose wheel version.

I'm sure if you give an agent a call, they can shed more light.

bob

There are no "standard" rates

Remember, insurance is marketed by multiple independent competitive companies. Asking what the rates are for [insert situation] is kind of like asking "what does lunch cost?"

Daniel and Bob - Thanks so much for the data points on real world experience among RV-10 owners.

Jeff - My question was not how much will it cost but more on the lines of can I even buy lunch if I'm not a member of the country club. :D

14 wings on the way and I have to admit that insurance qualification was not on my very elaborate trade-off matrix when making the decision to switch from the 9 to the 14. I hold a ppl with just under 100 hrs...just going to have to continue to accrue hours and experience over the next several - n years of the kit build.

Cheers!
Tony

Of course you must have a high performance endorsement (or be grandfathered) to act as PIC if the engine is over 200 HP, whether the insurance company says so or not.

Back