What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Arc protection for trim relays

Rick S.

Well Known Member
What amp rating for the rectifier diodes that are used to protect the trim hat switch and relay contact from arcing?

I can find reference to using the diodes but not a mention of the amp rating. I was planning on using the same diodes for the battery contactors. 50 volt/3amp.

I am wiring my own relay board with relays from McMaster-Carr and a CH stick Grip. BTW the new grips do not have the relays mentioned in previous posts but I have read that you need to protect the contacts from arcing with a diode.

Any suggestions?

CH products sent me a new grip plus a rc allen relay for the trim.
My relay burned out on the first flight, all was free of charge and was sent next day.

Sorta what I'm trying to avoid, I'm not so concerned about the relays themselves, they are heavy duty rated for 1 million cycles, but the contacts in the switch itself. I could have gone with the Ray Allen relay boards but I like to tinker and just built my own. I looked at a schematic from a trim relay vendor, I can't remember who it was and they stated that the arc protection diodes not shown for clarity and CH says to protect the swithces with the same arc protection diode. ...Hence my question. It's the similar setup Dan C. used for his trim and flap relays, cept he didn't mention arc protection.

Back