What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hudson River Exclusion

Kentsrv7a

Well Known Member
Had a great flight from Virginia to Connecticut on Friday. We flew the VFR corridor called the Hudson River Exclusion. It started at the Verrazano Narrows and ends north before the Tappan Zee bridge. Basically flew by Manhattan at 1100ft and 140kts! Very cool but lots of helicopter traffic and windy. Notice the nose moving around as the wind pushed us. Here is a link to the pictures my wife took, cockpit video camera and route of flight.

http://s1123.photobucket.com/user/Kentsrv7a/library/Hudson River Exclusion - North
http://youtu.be/LsY6M3hpkC0
http://www.cloudahoy.com/cgi-bin/fltShare.cgi?share=18JimlrQKujMB7dgIWXyNul

Very nice Kent! Congratulations! It's bumpy over Hudson most of the day, it's even bumpier over East River. Those skyscrapers create their own winds. It's a great feeling first time doing this, isn't it? If you go on early summer morning you may get good mirrored image of your plane from Freedom Tower you need to know where to look for it. Next time ask LGA about East River route and Central Park photo mission you will love it. Be ready to be called a helicopter :)

Thanks for the tip Vlad! I will check that out next time I'm up that way. The Central Park tour sounds very cool. Did you request the "Central Park tour?" Was there a specific route they want you to fly? What altitude did they let fly over at?

Thanks for the tip Vlad! I will check that out next time I'm up that way. The Central Park tour sounds very cool. Did you request the "Central Park tour?" Was there a specific route they want you to fly? What altitude did they let fly over at?

I usually enter from the Alpine Tower (NJ side) of the river just South of the Tappanzee. If you call LaGuardia before you get there, Tel them you would like Hudson River South, Statue of Liberty, East River, Central Park, and Hudson River North. They will generally fly you at 2000' but ask you if you would like to drop down to 1500' at the "important" spots like the Statue.

LaGuardia will hand you off to Newark half way South, and then Newark will give you back to LaGuardia as you leave the Statue for the East River.

You can piece your route together as you choose if you are coming from the South. The entrance to teh East River is beautiful because you get a gentle bank folliwing the contours of the river. And the three bridges at the bottom of Manhattan are really nice scenery. It's the Brooklyn, the Manhattan, and the Williamsburg.

I fly the corridor a lot because it is in my back yard, but the East River is definitely a great option to add!:)

The Class B Exclusion is lots of fun to fly! It's my favorite place to fly out of town visitors. My only gripe is that sometimes there's so much helicopter chatter that you can't get a word in edgewise!

Thanks Kent. the Hudson River Exclusion is on my bucket list. The video really shows the reporting points very well.

Seems funny to have talk on here about flying adventures that I can say" I did that". Now I would love to go back with someone like Vlad and just look at the scenery, he could do the flying/ and watching for all the other trafic. He could also do all the radio work, now that would be fun.

Back