What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

C/S prop leaking grease

Bob Martin

Well Known Member
Our RV-6 is 10 yrs old with 350 hours on it. We were wondering about Hartzell recomending OH at 6 years and knowing ours was low time and always hangered we figured all good. Hartzell says the time limit is there for corrosion mainly so we knew we should get an OH some time but wasn't sure when. Well yesterday, we noticed a fine speckling on the nose area behind the spinner after flying for a couple hours. We removed the spinner and top cowl to find it was grease leaking from the hub joint close to the blade seal. It appears the grease leaked and was slung against the backplate and slipped between the spinner/backplate and then was slung against the cowling in little specs. Now that we see this...we remember seeing very tiny specs on the canopy but couldn't determine what it was or where it was comming from. Now we know. We are surly glad is isn't oil and didn't coat out canopy in flight like some stories we have read about. I'm assuming we will now have the prop Overhauled!! I just thought I'd post this information for others to see and maybe learn from. We checked Hartzells website and found this hub isn't the model that cracks! So we are thankful of that as well. Any commets or sharing of experiances would be appreaciated.
Regards,
Bob Martin
RV-6 N94TB Louisa Va

If you prop has grease fittings and has been serviced lately, it may have been just over serviced and the grease splattering will go away when the excess grease from the hub has all leaked out. I would check with the prop shop before removing the prop for overhaul, you might find this is normal.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

That is possible. The greasing procedure is very precise and that the prop is not over greased. Read and follow the instructions in the manual when performing maintenance. and be sure that the correct grease is used and is the same as that previously used. Very important!

Roberta

Thanks Mahon and Roberta,
it was been 10 months and 80 hrs since our last condition inspection so it hasn't been serviced recently. The leak is between the hub joints, not at a rubber seal as I would expect if it was from overfilling. We talked to the prop shop and he suggested not fooling with bolt torque and not to fly it until it is fixed. He suggested it may have a cracked hub. Even though I have looked for one in the places where they normally occur.....Based on the information on the website.
As for the type of grease, we bought the airplane 3 yrs ago and the logs didn't specify what grease was used so we we used Aeroshell #5 I think, like the book recommended and hope the original builder did the same. You are right about reading the manual, with grease fitting on each side, it is easy to assume you add grease until it come out the other side, but the book says only 6 strokes, I think. I'm now realizing how important this is as the area can't vent or the grease would sling out and I'm not sure weather grease expands when it gets hot or not.
The shop has quoted about 1675 plus a shipping or pickup fee of 50 from Va to PA and that was "about" what 2 other shops quoted.
This is my first C/S prop and I'm really learning about this and hoping others can as well.
Thanks for your input.
Regards
Bob Martin

The price is in line with what I just paid for a C2YK. Mine was quoted at $1605...but I ended up needing a new hub due to corrosion...that added $1200 -they found me a yellow tagged one- new one was much higher. Good luck.

Back