What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Console and Step

ww2planes

Well Known Member
Bill,
Originally the RV-6 had a console going up to the panel. I didn't like it because it was in the way when I needed to get under the panel. I asked Van if it was structural and he said no. I left it off of my airplane and others followed suit. Most -6, -7 and -9s built after the early '90s don't have them for the same reason. Others have added a wider console only to find that for long legged people (not me) it gets in the way during a strong crosswind landing.
And the step would not allow me to use my flap handle.

Last edited:
Aussie console.

Here's mine.
Even with my big muscley thighs I can apply full aileron.
It puts the throttle in the same line as the stick and important switches at hand.
Pete.
whzcockpitey3.jpg

peterjamesthrottlequadrantnq7.jpg

The examples look very good

I think you will be happy with it but of course everythig is not shown yet. I designed and built my own and it does a great job - just be sure you incorporate everything you need operationally. I think too often we design a little on the shy side when a little more persistence could achieve significantly better functionallity. My console is entirely infront of the wing spar so the area between the seats is free for the aileron spring trim offered by Van's for light duty uneven fuel load compensation, and a fire extinguisher.

In the console forward of the spar I based the width on the dimensions of the fuel valves (I happen to have two of them) and the right angle AN fittings. I built up the entire console based on that as the width determining criterion. It has three face panels determined by the angle of the manual pitch trim cable, a flat panel to contain the fuel selector valves and a vertical panel to contain the Aux fuel pump toggle switch and primer momentary push button switch. Inside the console are four fuel filters, the aux fuel pump, the primer solenoid and all the wiring transitioning from the front of the plane to the rear and to the wings (no wiring is visible in the cockpit). I found that the console was too wide and did cause noticable discomfort to my right leg. I found that I could reduce the width to a comfortable width by remounting the valves at a 45 degree angle and reindexing the knobs on their control shafts to maintain fuel selector positioning that is intuitive to the pilot. My console is assembled with screws in such a way that every panel is completely separable from every other panel (face, sides, back and all) for service and modification. The rear vertical plane facing the wing spar is open but the carpet under the seats tucks in there and you see no gap. The base of the console is made of aluminum angle and aluminum sheet. It is attached to the airframe with down turned angles bolted to the center most floor stringers with AN3 bolts. Aluminum sheet is riveted to the horizontal surface of these angles forming a floor or web across the space between the floor stringers where the console is located (aft of the battery box). Additional upturned aluminum angles are inset from the stringers to the width of the console and riveted to the aluminum sheet web. Platenuts (sorry for the naming contradiction but the convention used when I started working on airplanes at the factory where I worked was platenuts were parts and nut plates were assemblies) are riveted to the inside of the upturned angles for mounting the console with #8 screws. This design has worked out very well and caused no problem when I installed the Altrak and Pictorial Pilot autopilot systems.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
I posted some previously I think

I'm in St. Louis right now using my brother-in-law's computer so I can't send any until Wednesday at the earliest. I think I posted some earlier however. You may be able to find them but I can't swear to it.

Bob Axsom

Beautiful

Bob that is a great console. I may have to incorporate something like this as time ticks by. Will be saving your picks for future use. Thanks again.

Back