What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cavanaugh Bay (ID) PIREP?

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Has anyone been to Cavanaugh Bay on Priest Lake (ID) in the past year or two? Last time I flew in was 7-8 years ago in a Skylane. Field was definitely fine for a C182 at that time, but am wondering how the RV-9 might like it this summer.

In late June of 2011 some friends flew in there in RV-4/6/7's. They had no issues and said it was beautiful, a nice to camp, and I think a nice lodge and restaurant.

Love Cavanaugh Bay!

We dropped in three times last year... Great camping, hot showers, a caretaker, a couple of cars, a fantastic restaurant right on the lake at the end of the runway. Hard to imagine a nicer place to go ;)

The runway is good grass with sprinklers... the center section is very firm and a bit higher for drainage; it gets a bit more woolly on the sides but is generally very good. You land from over the lake and uphill and depart the other way so be sure to use your radio... Note that you can not see the approach end at the lake from the uphill departure end from a bit of a crown in the runway.
img2314n.jpg

Here is a shot of the camping area right in front of the shower building.
img2376r.jpg

Cavanaugh Bay restaurant... on the deck looking at the lake ;) Great food!
img2315h.jpg

Steve,

Helping a friend start on his 7A. He has a house on the west side of the airstrip there. He has two neighbors that had/have RVs and fly in and out with no problems. A 6 and a 9A. He said the strip is very well maintained.

Thanks guys. I've been in there a lot, as I used to be based out of KSFF in Spokane, but just wondered how my -9 and wheel pants might like it since I haven't been there in so long. Good to see Stephen's handled it with no apparent issues. And, yes, it is a great place for camping but if you go on weekend be prepared for a crowd!

I'm starting to get a list going of places worth camping at as this will be my first summer with my RV out of Phase I. Really looking forward to it!

Nate-we'll have to fly over together sometime. Only a hour away. There's lots of good places around there to fly!

Last edited:
an easy hour and a half...

Hey Stephen, that looks like a great place. How long does it take you to get there from here?

1:20 if you avoid the big band of MOAs ... direct shaves off a couple of minutes.

No fuel there, but there are lots of close by options to pick up fuel on your way out if you plan to come in light on fuel and heavy on gear, or want to keep light to check it out first.

I can confirm that Cavanaugh Bay is a terrific grass strip. Flew into there for the first time in the summer of 2011 in a 172: Smoothest grass landing I ever made.

Went back in the summer of 2012 in my RV-6A. I was super paranoid about nose-overs, having heard all those stories and seen the scary pictures. So the week prior, I practiced a bunch of soft-field landings on the grass next to the runway at Arlington. I should not have bothered: The grass at Cavanaugh Bay is firmer and smoother. (Also, I had removed my main gear pants just before the flight, but again, I probably should not have bothered).

I look forward to going again in 6 or 7 months :) It's a very nice place. For the past two years, each summer I have gone once by air and once or twice by car.

(As a side note: Flying to Cavanaugh Bay in a Cessna in 2011, and knowing that I would probably return once or twice per summer, is the main reason why I bought an RV. That fall, I decided to buy an airplane, because I was doing so much flying that renting that 172 was getting too pricey. It would be cheaper to own. I had always wanted an aerobatic airplane, but flying 400 miles in a Citabria or in a 152 Aerobat would take for ever. Also, landing on the grass in a speedy low-wing Glasair or Lancair is not a smart thing to do. That's when I figured out that, as you know, RVs have the best of all the worlds. Perfect for the mission. So I got an RV-6, a year ago this month. Would have gotten the taildragger version, but as soon as I started looking, I had the chance to get a killer deal on a gorgeous RV-6A, so, oh well. When I build someday, the little wheel will be at the correct end).

Cavanaugh Bay (ID)

Hey guys, here's a video I made of flying into Cavenaugh Bay in Idaho.
Great little airport to fly in and out of.

Safety item: Look close on my windshield and you'll see small bug like splotches. - turns out later that same day flying near Couerd'Alene an Oil cooler line punctured and I almost blew up the motor. So while flying in here...it was already leaking. Note to self - "if you see what appears to be bug spots...look close, it could be oil"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=higccI6QGLc&list=UUdVSASOuu8Dp0kSyuRFBH5A&index=14

Oil Cooler

George is that the original VW oil cooler that sits on top of the engine case? If that is the original, then it is close to 22 years old.

Steve

Oil cooler

Hey Steve, yes it was. The tubes feeding the cooler were touching the plenum and created a hole. When I did the Top Overhaul, I put the Vans Oil Cooler on it with a new Baffle and all is good!

When I landed I had already lost about 3 quarts. - the airplane looked like it came from a Star Wars Dog fight - oil all across the fuselage, inside and underneath everything.

Back