What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuel pump O/H

6 Gun

Well Known Member
Got to have my fuel pump O/H its an AC pump later style with chanell arm for io-360 any place do it for exp engines or any place to get parts.
Thanks Bob

Fuel pump O/H

Found this information last week when a friend with a 3 was worried about his 15+year old fuel pump, sorry, your looking at $400.00 at Spruce.

Basic Fuel Pump System

Sport Aviation - 8/87

By Tony Bingelis

Not many moons ago, the AC folks decided to cancel production of their fuel pump repair kits because too many fuel pumps were being improperly repaired. They figured that the cost difference between the repair of an old pump and the installment of a new one was not worth the problems being encountered. So, forget about overhauling your old AC type engine driven fuel pump.

Repair kits are no longer available.

Engine driven fuel pump

We have new Lycoming fuel pumps in stock (P/N LW-15473) for $375.00, no core charge. But you might check with Aero Accessories. You might be able to use your core and save some $.

Don

We have new Lycoming fuel pumps in stock (P/N LW-15473) for $375.00, no core charge. But you might check with Aero Accessories. You might be able to use your core and save some $.

Don

Don,
Do you know if the current LW-15473 fuel pumps have diaphragm materials which can survive unleaded fuel additives?
Charlie

Fuel pump

Can?t say for sure what the internal rubber parts are compatible with. The diaphragm material as far as I know is some type of Nitrile Elastomer. Obviously there are auto fuel STC?s on Lycoming?s using an engine driven fuel pump. The components that are the rubber parts are the same for the injected pumps and carburetor pumps so I would imagine that the LW-15473 would work with auto fuel. I know there is a group of RV?ers called the Vanguard Squadron that uses ethanol blended fuel in their IO-320?s and the pump as far as I know is stock.

To be certain what ?additives? would affect the rubber in the pump would require testing to determine the compatibility of the present materials with the ?additives? you are referring too.

Don

From the first revolution in its life the pump spring dies a slow death. The kit in the first link doesn't include a new spring.

I hate the things, truly 1930's technology.

A rotary pump is easily rebuildable and is adjustable, but the engine has to be set up for them. If you have to insist on having a mechanical pump.

Back