What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

37 degree / shpherical insert ?

Mark Bolton

I have a Fuel and Oil Pressure Gauge. I want to plumb them using a 37 degree flared fitting. They have a concave seal in the back of the guage male fitting.

I was thinking about spinning up a male 37 degree / spherical brass insert and running a hole through the middle on my mates lathe but it seems extraordinary and fiddly operation.

Is there a better way of doing this ?

THX In Anticipation.

http://rv-4builder.blogspot.com.au/

THX for the replies

37adapter.jpg

steamguages.JPG

Hi Toobuilder,

yes a compression fitting. I didn't post a pic of the rear of the guage but rather the fitting which matches it. It is a brass sleves soldered onto a copper line.

The mating surface is a spherical male - the one in the guage is the corresponding female form.

The AN fitting has the 37degree flare as an example of the male fitting I would like to have on the rear of the adapter.

The gauges are really attractive with an Art Deco feel.

If the fitting is permanent in the gage (rather than a NPT fitting), then you're stuck with some kind of adapter, which certainly violates the "simplicate and add lightness" mantra. Nothing wrong with keeping the existing fitting on the gage end and switching to AN at the firewall bulkhead fitting.

Back