What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

non-panel mount for Garmin 296/396/496 in rv8?

chappel

I'm New Here
I've got an RV-8 with a full panel, and recently got a Garmin 396. So far I've just charged the battery and set it (and the XM antenna) up on the glare shield with the bean-bag mount. I'd like a better solution, obviously, but I don't have any room in the panel, and little room anywhere else. A friend had his 196(?) mounted to the tubular wind screen support (low on the left, near the canopy latch) with a RAM type mount, and that seemed to work pretty well, but he's no longer available for advice. I've checked RAM's web site (www.ram-mount.com), and they appear to have every imaginable combination of widgets to mount about anything anywhere, but I was hoping to benefit from someone else's experience before I started trying to guess which of the zillion combinations might fit best. I'd prefer something relatively streamlined, and solid enough so I don't have to worry about it flying around in turbulance (or the occasional less-than-smooth 'unusual attitude').

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Garmin's upgrade to the 430 in the stack will integrate all the features of the 396/496 so I won't need one for more than a handy backup, but I fear that isn't going to be very likely.

I'll be sure to report back if I come up with anything worth passing along.

Thanks,

Chris
rv8 127EK

Check our web site ... we mounted a RAM ball on the lower left of the panel and our 196 fits nicely.

I use RAM on my Airmap. As far as I can tell, it's very solid and I'm quite happy with it. Even better, I can easily move stuff between whatever plane I'm renting and my car. Very nice stuff.

Another Option

Check my website. I used the car mount that came with my 296, mounted it on a flat bar that sticks out from the bottom flange. Additional pictures available.

Back