What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon w/out Airspeed input ??

John_RV4

Well Known Member
I saw the note about using the Dynon on battery only in a Lance. I was under the impression that all EFIS units need additional input (Airspeed or GPS ) to work properly.

That said, has anybody experimented w/out these inputs ?

Specifically, if you lose the pitot/static input to the Dynon:
1. How would it behave ?
2. Would you know definately that you lost that input ?

John

Call Dynon

John, why not just call Dynon? We're all just tinkerers out here :D
For this kind of question, I suggest a call to the inventor.

Dynon, no pitot

John: All I can say is that the Dynon, not hooked to anything, sat in the glove box and agreed very well with the outside world and my AI. ? lucky. Maybe in other conditions without the pitot-static input it would go belly up. Course I didn't get any info except attitude - no airspeed, altitude, VSI etc. Different topic: I've seen talk that the rear baggage compartment is a good place for the Dynon magnetic sensing unit. Anybody have experience with that? Bill

Dynon

Concerning the rear baggage mount for the Dynon magnometer: check out Dan Checkoway's web site. Good description and better yet, pictures. Jack

Attitude w/o gps or airspeed

John_RV4 said:
I saw the note about using the Dynon on battery only in a Lance. I was under the impression that all EFIS units need additional input (Airspeed or GPS) to work properly.
Regarding the experimental units: BMA, Dynon or GRT, I understand they do use GPS (BMA) or heading and airspeed info to help resolve attitude. I think they work without it, but with degraded performance.

Not all EFIS need additional input to provide attitude information. I can speak to the high end commercial jet equip, which derive attitude from autonomous self-contained units (IRU-inertial ref unit) that do not rely on outside airdata or nav data. Good old fashion mechanical gyros can do it, why not. EFIS price in the experimental market is one reason they use the additional input. Even with less expensive sensor package, small errors can be corrected for improve accuracy with the outside data incorporated into the mix. Some commercial aviation black boxes cost well over $100,000! Considering the cost (as little as $2000) and performance of the current Gen of EFIS for experimental aircraft, that is pretty amazing. :D

Cheers George

Picture

I have a good picture of how I mounted mine behind the rear baggage panel. Private me your email and I will send it to you. Cant seem to get it to post.

N819VK

Back