What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

garmin 396 help

OneTwoSierra

Well Known Member
I called XM and upgraded my WX package from Aviator Lite to Aviator package, but my garmin is still reciving the Aviator Lite package. Is there a trick to this?

1) I left the unit on for an hour and it didn't change.

2) I called XM and they 'refreshed' my signal, but then I didn't turn my garmin on until about an hour and a half after they did this. Did I miss out on some kind of refresh signal?

I set this up for our corp pilot using the WXWork's system ... I found the unit has to be on and getting WX before you call ... then you must allow them to 'ping' or 'refresh' your package ... after they say ok ... leave the unit on for at lease 2 hours! Be prepared to do this more than once :( ... as i set it up in our company's KingAir F90 right before a 3 1/2 hour flight ... during the flight it worked great. Also worked great during the return trip ... but three days later had to do it all over again ... XM said it didn't fully 'refresh'??? Sounds like their subscription key expired and we missed the update. Since those two trips ... i've 'refreshed' it twice more ... (fingers crossed) ... it's now worked for the last two trips.

Got it

Thanks. Turned on the unit and went to their website and did a 'refresh' online. Worked like a champ. You have to have the unit on, and leave it on as you said (it took only about 15 minutes in my case).

Note that this isn't documented anywhere...at lease I couldn't find it.

XM Weather Aviator LT vs Aviator

Brian,
How "unhappy" were you with the Aviator LT subscription?
I'm presently an XM "radio only" subscriber and am thinking about buying a Garmin 396 or 496 next week at OSH. (I'm actually borrowing an old 195 to get there.) Obviously the Aviator package offers a lot of nice features, but I should be building my 7 instead of flying my 172, so I'm thinking even a 396 with the LT package would be a large step up for what little flying I presently do. When I finish the 7, I plan to invest in the avionics panel as late as possible and then just live with it for a few years!
Anyone else with any comments on the LT package, please join in.
Based on other comments in this forum about the new 496, I may be buying a slightly used 396 at a good price :cool:.
Don Hull

I've had a 396 since Airventure 2005. The day I got it, I subscribed to the full Aviator package. Great information - I kept the full package for about two months when I did some rather long X-countries around the states. After that, I switched to the Aviator LT package and haven't had the need to switch back to full. I don't do a whole lot of weather flying, and generally my trips are pretty tame in length (in the 182).

I'd say it totally depends on your type of flying as to whether the Aviator LT is good enough or if you need the full Aviator package. Note, you can upgrade/downgrade on demand (via a phone call), so you're never locked into a package.

Back