What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

glass over wing tips

jtrollin

Well Known Member
I am looking for some tips / ideas on how to glass over the wing tips where the plastic lens covers go on my 10. I am going to have my position lights on the wing tips and the lights in the wing skins so I have no need for the lenses in the tips.

Any ideas on how to best do this would be great. And if anyone tried this before would love to see some pics and get some lessons learned.

thanks,

5 minute glue in a chunk of polystyrene foam from AS&S or just use some of that green foam from the florist and carve with a serrated knife the rough shape you desire. Sand and finish to its final shape. Squeegee on some epoxy/micro mix and lay up two layers of 01-00642 BID fiberglass cloth. The second layer 90* from the first overlapping the well prepared tip edge 1" and wet out each layer as you go. Cover with peel ply for a nice finish/transition on the original tip and strip off peel ply when cured. It will take very little fill to finish the transition if you do it right.

If you have the plexiglass lenses, shoot them with PVA then do a two-ply layup over them to make a female mold. Use the female mold to lay up fiberglass substitutes for the lenses. Bond to the wingtip cutouts and fill the seams.

You might be able to layup on the inside of the plastic lens and just use that. It will be a little smaller, but it should fit and then you can blend it in with filler.

Back